Pain Management Community
cramp in calves 8 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

cramp in calves 8 weeks

about 8 weeks ago i went awa my motorbike 5 hours and the next day my left calf really cramped. since then my calf muscle is very hard. after sitting down it will cramp when i get up and after sleeping its really hard. i often use m laptop on my lap, putting my legs at an angle. i wonder if that had anything to do with it. however over the holidays i was away for 3 weeks, not using a laptop , and my calf was still the same.
do i have some circulation issue? what should i do. ive had some massages and used cold cream, but it doesnt help.

Welcome to the pain management forum of MH. I am glad that you found us but very sorry to hear about your calf pain.

You could have some circulatory issues. If you calf is hard I would be more concerned about phlebitis (inflammation in the vessels) or thrombophlebitis (inflammation with a clot). Is the area red or warm?  

I suggest you see a physician asap. They can best diagnosis your calf issues.I do not want to scare you.  If you have a clot it can be life threatening. If you have phlebitis it can develop a clot. I would not message it until you have a diagnosis. If it is a clot the message may dislodge it.

If you have circulatory issues that are severe enough to make you a calf hard than you still need to seek medical treatment. It could also be an injury that gain needs to be treated. Good luck to you. Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your updates. Tuck
I deal with calf and hamstring cramping every day in my work line of personal fitness training. The most common causes of muscle cramping often in calves are dehydration, lack of potassium or high sodium diet. What you are describing is a muscle soreness originally started by using your calf muscle that is excentuated by either one of the two above things. Medication taken can worsen dehyration or depletion of potassium so if that is present in your life then up the potassium and water a little more.

So eat a banana, papaya, cataloupe etc., have a litre of water, and stretch your calves.