Pain Management Community
damaged nerve in leg after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

damaged nerve in leg after surgery

My grandmother had a hip surgery last November and after it she couldn't feel in left leg, a doctor told us that some of her nerves were damaged, they gave some tablets and meds and said it would get better, however it hasn't and she has a bit trouble walking and wearing slipper/shoes, is there anything she can do to help heal her nerves? how long exactly does it take for damaged nerves to heal?
Hello:

Nerve damage can last a very long time. It all depends on how damaged the nerve was during the surgery. For instance, my Mother had back surgery and during the surgery, the Surgeon damaged a nerve. Two of her toes were numb for about 1.5 years until recently. They still display some numbness but not nearly as bad as it was after the surgery. So, you never know.
Keep at the Doctors if it doesn't get any better.

My best,
Mollyrae
Hello Scoty,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum of MedHelp. I am sorry to hear about your grandmother's chronic pain. We expect and trust our surgeons to repair our medical conditions and not cause further pain. Unfortunately as your grandmother discovered that does not always happen.

I want to make sure that you understand that there are no physicians or experts on our forum. Any suggestions or information you obtain here should not be considered medical advice.  

I don't know how involved you are in your grandmothers health care issues but she is fortunate to have your love and concern. In my opinion any "healing" to the damaged nerve should have taken place by now. The pain that she is left with may well be a permanent condition.

Has she obtained a second opinion? If not I certainly would find a reputable orthopedic surgeon for a consult. It may be that a nerve is being compressed and a surgical remedy may be possible.

If an orthopedic surgeon beleives it is not repairable I would suggest that your grandmother consult a neurologist or a neurosurgeon. If they too beleive there is no repair than there are medications that can treat nerve pain. It won't cure it but it can reduce it in varying degrees. In addition to these medications there are also pain medications that can help your grandmother to be more comfortable.

Certainly she should not accept her current condition without investigating all her options. She should not have to live with untreated chronic pain.

I hope she will find some solutions and that you will keep in touch and let us know how she is doing. I wish her the very best. How sweet it is that you are so concerned for her. Please continue to support her and try to understand her pain.

Peace,
~Tuck    
First let me say that you have received great advice from Tuck and Molly.

I, too, had additional nerve pain after my last surgery. The doctor told me it could easily take a year or more. Nerves take a very long time to recover. He did suggest I take vitamin B - He told me to buy it in liquid form and take it daily. I cannot remember if it was B1 or B3

you should ask your grandmother's doctor first anyway -

I do know that too much B6 can actually do damage to the nerves.

Anyway, I remember that the vitamin B was actually written into my discarge orders from the hospital.

Remember, always check with the doctor first, but maybe that will help a little.

Good luck and keep us updated!!
thank you all for your advice and yes we did check with the doctor and he gave some pills