Pain Management Community
dealing with neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

dealing with neck pain

Does anyone have any suggestions on sleep positions without neck pain.? I am dealing with cervical arthritis/damage and broad based disc osteophyte complex with moderately severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing stenosis to C-3-4-5-6-7. Most sleep positions I've tried results in headaches upon awakening or radiating shoulder/arm pain.
Aside from sleeping, has anyone had any experience with facet joint injections? or cervical injections? both done by pain management doctors? I will be seeing a new set of doctors and discussing some of these options in January, I would like some feedback if anyone has any experience with either or anyother types.
Thank you for input.
Hi matd,

I broke my neck playing softball some years ago and have had issues with neck pain and shoulder pain as well as headaches periodically. I have purchased several expensive pillows that promised to relieve the headaches and pain but none of them worked. I found that if my pillow is flat and my neck well supported I sleep more comfortably and wake with less pain and headaches.

There are a multitude of opinions on facet joint and cervical injections. I personally would be fearful of any injection near my cervical area. I do know that the relief obtained is generally short lived and the injections must be repeated in most cases. I am hopeful others will post with more first hand knowledge than I have. I encourage you to make an informed decision. Gather all the information you can, research, research and research so more and be well informed of all the pros and cons.

Best of luck to you. I will look forward to your updates and am hopeful you will share with us your experience. We all learn from one another. Take care, Tuck
Hello Matd and welcome to the Pain Forum:

Sorry to hear of the neck pain. It can make sleeping very difficult. My advise would be to lay as evenly as possible. Make sure that the pillow is sightly curled inder the neck so that you feel the support. Keep your head as even with the mattress as possible. The mor tilting of the head, the worse you will feel.

This technique has helped me in the past when I had a bad cervical disc. I hope you can find comfort. Please take care and my best this Holiday Season,
Mollyrae
Hi and welcome to our forum. I use a water filled pillow purchased from a physical therapy supply company that works wonders for my neck. Do a Google search on "waterpillow" and the place I bought from was right at the top.
I've had many cervical facet injections without any problems and for me, they provide pretty good relief, although some times work better than others. This last set of injections was a disappointment, but n general they've been a life saver. I also get some alternative treatments in conjunction with the facet injections. They involve the use of acupuncture needles (although the doctor insists it's not acupuncture) with some electrical stimulation and injecions of lidocaine. These treatments usually leave me pain free for 4-6 months between treatments. As I said, this last treatment didn't work as well, so I may go back in sooner than normal.
The facet injections and cervical epidurals are similar in that they are outpatient procedures. You will need someone to drive you home. You will be given some anesthesia, so you won't remember much if anything. They only keep you awake enough to respond to their instructions if needed, but I only knew what was going on in one of my treatments. They also use a local anesthesia at the site of the injection. The injections are done under a flouroscope that they use to guide the needles in. Cortisone is injected either in the facet joint area or epidural space near your inflammation. The procedure itself only takes 15 minutes or so, then you spend a 45 minutes to an hour in recovery. Whe you're ready you can go home as long as someone is there to drive you. You'll need to rest the rest of the day, but can go back to work the next day. You can have up to six of these procedures a year.
I hope this is helpful to you. Take care and God Bless.

Keith
Guess I should have mentioned that I also need a total shoulder replacement due to severe arthritis, therefore the pain is that much more complicated. The Docs suggested shots for the neck pain so we could see how much of the pain is actually coming from the shoulder aas opposed to the neck---raidiating down the arm and shoulder blade. Laying flat only makes  the shoulder pain worse. It's a catch 22 at this time I guess, But thanks to you all for the suggestions. Shots are a very scary thought I agree!!!
I have had 2 cervical fusions --1 anterior and 1 posterior. As you can see the time, I hate to try to sleep. I sleep best in the recliner with a slight roll under back of neck. It is hard to describe position I am amble to sleep in when in bed. But will try. I lay on R. side -put r. hanh on L. shoulder and L hand on R. shoulder and rest chin in cradle of hands/arms. Now non of these positions work unless I have taken muscle relax and pain meds. I usually take Soma or Zanaflex. I alternate. MD likes Flexaril. I do not. Wake feeling like been on a drunk. Soma nor Zanaflex doesn't. MD ordered Tramadol for pain. Haven't got filled---lost Rx. Has anyone got remarks about Tramadol. If I could get pain level to where it is tolerable, would be happy. I had cervical blocks. I would not recommend. Not only was I scared of them----they did not work. Waste of $$$$.. Keep posted.  Madlyn