Pain Management Community
difference between Soma and Meprobamate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I had a drug test done and I am in pain management.  I take Soma 350 and my test came back negative for Soma but positive for Meprobamate.  I only take the Soma when needed.

My questions are, how long does Soma stay in your system and what is  Meprobamate?
Meprobamate is an anti anxiety med. Soma and Meprobamate have some similar ingrediants. Could me why the drug test cam back as Mep instaed of soma. Be careful with the soma.
Thanks, I only take one or two soma a day.  I do not like the feeling of woozy and have NEVER abused drugs.  I know what you mean though about being careful.  I have always been the type to put a drug down and never look at it again if I want.  I am NOT addicted to anything
Hi Larbec,

Soma stays in your system 2 to 7 days. Soma (Carisoprodol) can initially metabolize as Meprobamate which is a barbituric acid like substance used mainly in the synthesis of barbiturates. This can cause a positive urine drug screen for things other than Soma. Soma will not show up in a drug screen unless it the test is specifically looking for it.  

Soma's addictive qualities both physical and mental is only moderate.I am sorry if you  thought anyone was suggesting that you were addicted to any medication. I'm sure Bikerdad did not mean his concern to come across as negative.

I take Diazapam as a muscle relaxant. Unfortunately it is the only drug that really works to control my spasms. Because I was concerned about the high addictive qualities of the medication it took forever for my physician to convince me to try it. A little over two years ago I finally agreed and I am not addicted. A bottle of 60 can last for many months. I have never increased my usage. Ppl can and do take drugs responsibly.

Take Care,
Tuck
I was not insinuating that I was accused of being addicted so no flame here.  I understand that some people are addicted to medications.

I am prescribed the Soma and my doctor asked me when the last time I took a Soma and i told him about 36 hours ago.  He did a drug screen and sent it off for anylsis.  When it came back it said negative for Carisoprodol and positive for Meprobamate.  He reduced my doasge from 90 to 30 per month and I really do not know why....I actually called the testing company and they told me that it is normal to come back this way and that it did not mean i did not have Carisoprodolin my system and that when it is metabolized it metabolizes to Meprobamate.  

Does this make sense?
I am glad that there is no flame! Because you used caps I was concerned.

Yes, what the testing company has told you does makes perfect sense, it's basically what I was trying to tell you. I am not always the best communicator.

Your physician probably reduced the amount he prescribed you because you were not requiring or at least using 90 a month.

It all makes sense.
Hi:

In your other post, you had mentioned that the Doctor had found Marajauana in your system. I feel that this is more of the reason why he chose to limit your medications.

Tuck has made a very good point also. Your Doc probably doesn't think you need as much. Being quite honest here, I think you are very lucky that the Doctor hasn't pulled the plug. You must do as he or the contract suggests and only take what has been prescribed.

Pain Management can be hard to come by and finding a good Doctor is even harder.

Please take care,
Mollyrae
The above was another friendly warning of not to loose your pain management :)

I'm not a fan of Marajuana. :)
I just wanted to clear something up or clarify it if I missed something. I re-read Larbec's "other post" on this forum that was deleted because it was a repeat.  

Unless there is yet another post on another forum it was Meprobamate that was found in his drug screen and not marajuana.

Peace,
Tuck
Ok, so I am slow today!! Must be from the steroids and severe hit on received in my head by a tree branch while mowing lawn yesterday. At least that sounds reasonable. LOL

I did find the post regarding the marijuana in the drug screen. I didn't realize there were three different posts. Sorry.  I have added my comments to that post.

Again Sorry,
Tuck
My Dr released me as a patient. Saying, I had meprobamate in my drug screen. I take soma. I told him I wanted to know why he released me. When he said this was found in my system, I said u know better. U put it on there to make me look bad. Saying its a 1970s anxiety drug. Atleast I didn't say u were taking a narcotic that u weren't. Then it would have been a felony. Today I went to another Dr. He said it was soma. I asked the nurse to make me a copy of my drug test.  So my question is... Can I press charges? For defimation of character? He & his staff has told my whole town I abuse drugs. I'm a preachers wife. It has really hurt our influence.
Your Doctor is incompetent if he didn't know that Soma metabolizes into Mepobramate. I even knew that from reading the information on Soma. I'm sure you CAN sue your Doctor. The question is will you win. Maybe just the act of filing the lawsuit will give you the necessary help you need to reclaim your good name. It may even get media attention. Only you know whether you want to go through that or not. I'm sure the people in your Congregation will be able to tell the truth from a lie. You could always write a letter to the editor explaining all of this and maybe educate your Doctor in the process.