Pain Management Community
doctor dropped me???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

doctor dropped me???

I have been going to the same doctor for 3 years now for my lower lumbar pain, he started me off on 120  10mg  hydrocodone a month,   6 months later dropped down to 90 10mg a month,  he has also givin' me oxys also, which i did not like,  but he just sent me a certified letter the other day that said he will no longer be providing me medical attention, I dont understand,  why would he just drop me like this,  the letter also said he would sent my medical records to whichever Dr., I started seeing...    why would he just drop me out of the blue like that,  i have very good insurance and do not owe any money...      i do not understand, are the drugs or something a liability???
Did you get meds from another doctor? Is he no longer gonna take patients for chronic pain?
ask him why he is dropping you and then call a pain management doctor, they are better suited to treat you anyhow.
You said that he decreased your dosage but gave you oxycontin and you didn't take them? What did you do with them? Did this doctor have you perform a random urine test? If so, and he was prescribing you oxycontin, along with the vicoden for breakthrough and both substances did not show up in your urine, there is your answer for why he dropped you.
If you got scripts from another doctor, or refilled too often, those are also reasons for a patient being dropped.
There has to be more to the story than him just dropping you, for no apparent reason.
Sandi
I agree with the other posters.  BUT...did you sign a Pain Management Contract or Agreement?  IF you did, and you didn't take the Oxycontin, it could very well be a reason why he dropped you.  But I would check into it.

This is one reason among many that I will NOT sign a contract.  I already follow the rules and have alrready been raised by a mommy and daddy.  But more importantly, it is not so much the medication aspect of it.  It is ALL the ad ons within a contract or agreement and I think it is total BS!  I just thank God my own pain management doctor doesn't have his patients sign these ridiculous things.  Sorry...but I have heard so much about them and issues with them...that I just wonder if you had signed one.  
he did make me sign a contract a long time ago,    and yes they did give me a urine test just last week before they dropped me ,  but i should have had everything in my system, i just dont understand what the heck,  he was getting paid good,   why drop me???
should i just have my records sent to a pain management clinic, will they give me the same meds no-problems,  i dunno why he dropped me,  am i causing him trouble or something, i just dont understand,   and sent it certified mail at that, i had to sign to get the letter...
You said that you were given a urinalysis last week. Are you taking the Oxycontin and vicoden as prescribed? You said in your first post that you were not taking the oxycontin. If he is still prescribing it for you, and it was not in your system for the urinalysis, that is probaby why you were dropped.
If you filled the oxycontin scripts and it did not show up in your blood stream in most practices, those are clear grounds for not providing care.
Something is definately missing from what you are saying. If there was a discrepancy between what you are being prescribed and what showed up in your urinalysis, then you may not find another provider to give you prescriptions.
Doctors do not have to provide a reason for dismissing you, but if you really want to know, contact the office and ask them.
Sandi
I think either the doc found something out about you he didn't like (past?) or maybe he is having problems with the DEA. Some of these docs are Quacks who just want an easy practice and they operate at the fringes of medicine, alone and the DEA may be paying special attention to these types. The more established pain clinics where there are multiple medical personal seem to have less problems are do a more through job. all the best
All the posters have good comments Jontara.  You should ask for a complete explanation and if one is not provided, your state board of dr.s would gladly receive your complaint about being dropped for no, or capricious reasons.  This is not for your benefit necessarily, but for the good of the system in general.  I was dropped when I questioned why the Dr. changed Rx's on me without explanation or without time to phase out of one regime into another.

Alot of pain mgrs. as a matter of course will drop patients if there is even a hint of malingering by the patient.

If in your urinalysis other subtances are found, like the metabolites of thc (marijuana) or something else, you should ask for a retest.  All of these test are not equal and not all the labs have their certifications up to date.

Above all, do not let his decision get you down.  They are narco-paranoids who certainly regard their practice more highly than they do your pain management.

God will get you where you need to go. Take care.

crash0427
I have been going to the same pain management dr. for almost 5 years now and he is very strict and I like that because I don't want a drug happy prescribing dr to take care of me. When my pain got worse and the Loratab 10s weren't doing the job, oxycotin was the next step and I had taken it for 2 weeks and was so sick and nauseated that I told him I would never take that again, so I have injections done at home once a week---an antiflamatory and a muscle relaxer and it has helped so much. Like most said, if he is prescribing something to you and you keep refilling it, but yet don't take it, he may have reason to believe that you are giving it away or selling it.

My dr goes to seminars 4 times a year to keep up with the codes and believe me, if they are good drs, they won't lose their licenses, by over prescribing. These drs are monitored very closely and I would never call him a narco-paranoid and I have a good relationship with my pain management dr and since I don't ask for more drugs, I have never had a urine test, but do have blood work done to test my liver. Drs are going to jail because they are over prescribing and not following up on their patients----you might want to wait and see if he is no longer treating for pain management, as my dr told me that they are trying to stop regular gps  from treating patients with chronic pain and making them send their patients to a pain management clinic or dr. I hope you get help soon, because chronic pain is a horrible life to live---I know.
There is no excuse for the doc doing this. Like most, he's in it for the$ and many of these pain docs have it this way because it's an easy pracitce like shrinks these days. The ones that are real anistigioligists (sp) are more impressive than a GP who is lazy so becomes a pain doc.. All the best
what is malingering?
It means up to no good, more or less. If this doc suspects anything, he can drop you like a stone if he thinks it will save his ***. I hate to see folks suffer because of incompetence or misinformation.
Malingering in this case means faking pain in order to obtain narcotics.
The same thing has happened to me.  I received a letter with no explanation.  I called the office and asked to speak with the doctor...the nurse told me that I had "broken the doctor-patient relationship" whatever that means.  I don't have a clue what that means.  I had a very good relationship with the doctor.  I have thought through all of the possible reasons that might fit into the ambiguous reason given but none has come to me.  It actually baffles me.  I asked to speak with the doctor personally and was told by his nurse that she would pass along the request but that HE WOULD NOT RETURN THE CALL...real professional, huh?  According to the AMA, he has to give me a reason...
Read this...

https://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/legal-topics/patient-physician-relationship-topics/ending-patient-physician-relationship.page