Pain Management Community
drug interactions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

drug interactions

interactions between prozac and fentanyl. My husbands meds were recently doubled. Prozac now 40mg and fentanyl 50mcg. and he is now talking in his sleep every night and constantly scratching at himself in his sleep. very impatient and unfocused during the day
Oh dear, I'm really sorry to hear that.  Sounds very scary.  I was on the fentanyl patch for 2 years.  I personally don't think it's effective unless used on terminal patients.  
Hi Lubby,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I apologize for my tardy response. And I am so sorry to hear about your husband's reaction to the increase in medications.

Fentanyl can be a very good drug to treat chronic pain. We have several members that have had good pain management with Fentanyl for some time. However we all react differently.

I don't know what "recently" means. If this increase was just a week ago it may take time for his system to adjust to it. If it was a month ago I would be more concerned with his reaction. It may be the Prozac more than the Fentanyl or just the combination.

Certainly contact his physician. Make sure he is aware of his new symptoms. And please keep in touch and let us know how he is doing. We will look forward to your updates. He is fortunate to have you, a concerned spouse.

Peace,
Tuck
Hi Lubby and I welcome you too:

Fentanyl is known to make a person experience vivid dreams and your Husband sounds like he is experiencing these.

This is a very common symptom of opiates and there is really nothing you can do about it except lower the dose and sometimes that doesn't work.

I too have these vivid dreams since I was introduced to fentanyl approx. 1.5 years ago. I have gotten used to them and accept it as a way of life.

I agree with Tuck in telling his Doctor about symptom changes, especially the itching. This could be a sign of an allergic reaction.

I hope this helps.

Well wishes,
Mollyrae