Pain Management Community
duragesic 25 mcg patches/ vs oxycodone 10mg tabs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

What is the difference in strength?
Hi gracie255,

First, I want to welcome you to the PM (Pain Management) Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. We are all CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other with our own expertise and experiences that we have developed through our own CP Issues.

I read your Profile and I will add you to my Prayers!!  Bless your heart, you are such a Brave Lady!!

There's really not much of a comparison between the 2 meds.  The Fentanyl, which I'm on for my Long-Acting Med, is approximately 80 times stronger than Morphine.  The Oxycodone (I use Percocet 10/325's for my BT Pain) is not as strong as the Fentanyl.

Which meds are you on for your pain?

As I said above, I'm very happy that you have found this site and I hope that you will enjoy the support that we offer here for you!!  

You might also, enjoy the Cancer Forum's.  Here's the Link:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Cancer/show/59

Best Wishes to you and again, Welcome!!

I'll look for your updates...........Sherry  :)
Gracie, I need to make clear to you that the Oxycodone is made in both the Long-acting and the short-acting med.  The Percocet that i take is the Short-acting of course.  I was assuming that you were talking about the short-acting.

If you are talking about the Long-acting, it's still my understanding that the Fentanyl is still the stronger of the 2 meds.  I'm sure that others will be along that might have more information. for you. :)

You can always call your Pharmacist and find out their opinion as they are the best people to consult when it comes to questions about our Medications!!!  They are the true Specialist's in this area.

Good Luck.........Sherry  :)
Hi Gracie,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. Our community is supportive and informational. I hope you'll be active on our forum.

If you goggle medication conversion tables/charts you will find multiple ones that can answer  your question.  While one drug may be more potent mg per mg it depends on the dose prescribed of the particular medication and more importantly what is most effective for you. So don't be dissuaded by the numbers.

As Namnam said there are two forms of Oxycodone. The long acting one is better known by it's brand name, Oxycontin. The short acting one is better know as Percocet or Percodan. So your question needs a bit of clarification. Your best bet is to contact your local pharmacist, They are the true experts in medications and their interactions.... and their expertise is free. Most pharmacists are more then willing to help you with any medication questions.

You are more than Welcome on our Pain Management Forum, although there may be additional forums that you may find helpful. If I understand correctly and you are struggling with pain my Heart goes out to you.  

I hope you'll consider being active in our community. We are here to offer our support and do our best at responding to your questions and concerns, I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck