Pain Management Community
failed drug test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

failed drug test

I took a drug test at my PM.  I know I am going to fail because I will have hydrocodone in my system instead of oxycodone and they tested for soma which wont be in my system.  I ran out of meds on a sat.  I had some vicoden from a past surgery from years ago that my mom had.  I took about 10 of thoes in the days leading up.  If I don't have illeagle drugs in my system will they still drop me?  I understand the maybe the hydro would be illeagle because the prescription was old.  I saw where someone had said they have to treat for 30 more days, is that true?I have been in pain mang. for 11 years, never failed a test, never got prescriptions from a dr. that I wasn't under narcodict agreement with.  I am concerned that they are just going to send me on my way.  I was having a difficult time with my fentanyl patch when I was tested which they know and switched me to oxycontin.  I had also said that I had ran out of oxycodone, but  didn't say when or that I had taken hydro.  Also on my soma prescription is does say take as needed.  So maybe I didn't need it for a few days.  This is in AZ, so if anyone has any info I would appreciate it. Thanks
Well I can tell you this, I was in the same situation and took 1 20mghydrocodone because I ran out of my prescribed oxycodone.  I was scheduled for a ua the following week (approx 11 days later and they didn't say anything to me.  But I was worried cause 1st, my pain contract states that I can just take the narcotics my PM prescribed, and 2, they have a specific test that test for oxycodone because one is a opiate and the other is a opiod.  More or less one is derived from the poppy plant and if im not mistaken the oxycodone is a synthetic.  Alot has to do when they test is the frequency of using the drug, mg used, when you stopped ect ect.  On a 12 panel test which I took prior to my PM's test showed me positive for oxycodone and neg for opiates which gave me a siegh of relief.  I don't know when your test is or how many panel test your PM uses but wish you luck, cause I couldn't due without the pain meds being so dependent on them at this time.
I don't know what a PM is. I am going to assume a pain management clinic type of thing. If I am wrong this may not apply. I would fess up and explain the situation. If you are honest before hand much more likely they will keep you on than if you try to hide something.
Most pain management programs have gotten strict, if the rx that is old was in your name you may be ok but its really up to the doctor, running out of meds in the programs here is just as bad as doing illegal drugs.  Technically the Vicodin is a variance, its hard to say how your doctor would feel but mine requires me to take my rx & nothing else and have it in my urine when he asks me to take a test b/c with any variance you could loose your medicine.  It all depends on your doctor.  I messed up on a U/A and I still get my pain meds but he punished me when it happened and took my breakthru rx away but let me earn it back, and I can never go to another doctor, no other pain management doc would rx me narcotics b/c of my 2nd chances... please be careful and do what they say when they say & you may be able to make it through the failed U/A with an explanation. Good luck, keep us posted