Pain Management Community
false negative drug test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

false negative drug test

Is it possible for a person to have taken opiods for so long a period that they would test negative on a drug test to show the amount they have been taking?
Welcome to MedHelp. I am glad you found us. There are others that have more information on this subject than I do and they will post soon.

Every few weeks I read a post that the drug test was not right. It amazes me that these tests can be so wrong at times. There are tests that are more accurate than others, But opiates should show up in the test regardless how long or short of a time you have taken them. If they do not show and you are in a Pain Management Contract you may be released without any further treatment from the clinic or PMP. I have seen it here.

So be very cautious. Just curious, why do you ask? If you are taking your meds they should show in a drug screen. I have said that if I am ever in that situation I will have a 2nd test performed by a trusted and recognized facility immediately after or before any drug screen.

So please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing. Take Care, Tuck
Hi I also have a had a negative opiate test done this was in the hospital originally and then I was transferred to another lets say "type hospital" and also there it was neg and they were watching me take my Norco,,the doc just laughed and said "how wierd" so Im not sure why this happens but it does.  
I posted an article regarding negative drug tests. Apperantly it is possible for Morphine to test negative in the body. It is also possible that Morphine sometimes is mistaken for Heroin. I have not heard of other drugs that will produce the same effects but you can research it through Google if you type in Fse Negative Drug Screen.
Take care, Mollyrae
PS- You can find the web site Iposted in my August 16th post...........
Oh goody? Something else to worry about?   lol

This never even Occured to me.

Better informed and prepared (to get a second test etc) than ignorant, I guess.

Lean something new every day!

~Spright
I know that you are new to the forum. When I first joined I thought there must be some mistake about these erroneous drug tests. Someone posts every few weeks about a drug test that was inaccurate. It happens.

You saw my post above and I am very serious. When and if I ever am surprised tested I will go immediately to another source for a 2nd test. If I am ever scheduled I will have it done immediately prior to the scheduled test. I have seen it too many times. As most, or all of us do, I take only the drugs I am prescribed and as they are prescribed. I no longer trust a drug test to confirm that fact. I encourage every one to do the same.

Tuckamore
I need any help possible.  I am a veteran and am in pm thru the VA.  I have a contract as required.  I have been in this program for almost 4 years.  I went last week for 2 test - one urin the other blood.  Both came back neg for oxycodone.  Now they say that they are going to discontinue me from the program.  I do not appreciate the way I have been treated.  I take my meds as perscribed daily.  I am on a number of other meds for blood pressure, depression (PTSD), stroke meds etc.  Do I have any recourse to prove I have been following all protocalls from all my doctors?
If they show up negative demand he sends it out for additional testing.  The gas test will show if you have it in your system or not.  Doctors often feel that if they are prescribing them to you and you test negative you are selling your medication and not taking them and it puts them in jeopardy.
I hlave a question, does metadate cd show up on drug screenss and if so what could cause a false negative.? I gave my son his metadate  at 6:30am, and at 11am they said he tested negative for it.
please tell me what you find out.  My son just had a hair test and it showed no medication Metadate CD or his ritilan in his system.  They have accused me of selling his meds and are trying to cause problems with child protective services.  My son has Autism and I care for him 24/7.  He has been on these medications for over three years.  I offered to take a drug test myself and they said that was not needed.  I asked them to give my son a urine and blood test and they said that was not needed since they are taking him off the Metadate and Ritilan because I am obviously not giving it to him.  So hurt and angry.  Please let me know if you have any information.