Pain Management Community
false positive for hydrocodone in a urinalysis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

What causes a false positive for hydrocodone in a urinalysis?
My doctor recently took a drug test and it came out positive for hydrocodone. She said I am getting prescriptions from some one else and does not want me to come back to her practice. The only medications I take I get from her. I have fibromyalgia and am taken the follow medications prescribe by my doctor, trazadone, effexor, estrogen, endocet (perocet), oxycontin, iron pills, ondansetron, albuterol,astelin and thyroxin. I am very upset about this.
demand a copy of the drug test...do you know if the specimen was saved..if so, demand a retest...these people DO make mistakes, and frequently retests find that there were errors.  I've also foundn that many Pain Med doctors and other doctors do not completely read the reports...they skim over them and make decisions based on "skimming the reports"

Call your doctor..get a copy of that report and go over it line by line with your doctor..also I don't know what state you are in but most state require that doctors cannot drop you from these types of meds without giving you 30 days to find another doctor and they MUST give you enough meds to cover that 30 days.  You cannot just
STOP taking these meds.

Please..contact your doctor and get more info on that test and DEMAND the 30 days. and get back to us and let us  know how it is going...

God bless and good luck..

Jim
I am not sure what would cause your test to report having hydro in your sysyem if you did not take it. Tere are amny many assumptions but as far as facts they are very few and far inbetween. I would have the doctor order a blood test as these are MUCH more reliable and gives th doctor much more detailed information. There is also a test you can purchase that test you hair and it will tell the doctor everything you have taken for up to 90 days.
I also would like you to know there are many drugs that contain hydro such as cough syrups. Have you taken any other drug other than what you mentioned? Poppy seeds are also something that can cause a false postive but since your taking the oxy I am not sure if poppy seeds show up as hydro or oxycododne or sometning else it is just classified as opiates.
Go back to the Dr and ask if she is willig to do a retest and a blood test. Do this as SOON as possible. If she refuses just ask her if she would be willing to do it for your benifit and that you would like to know why this came up in your teat as you definatly did not take hydro. Ask her to please order the test for your own minds sake if she refuses to sdo the test for her purposes.
I have no way of telling you for sure why this happened but I would leave no stone unturned in finding out why it did as your going to have a lot of trouble finding another Dr to treat you now. We see this alot here and I wish I could offer you more than just support and the knowlegde I have but truth is your going to have to really be on top of things in the next few days and try your best get your Dr to retest if not for her for you.
Take the time to go to the ER and tell them you need a blood test for drug levels and liver function. If they ask why your Dr did not order them tell them everything and implore them to help you. Having a blood test that proves your innocence will help you greatly finding another Dr to treat you. Having the health problems you do your going to have to have treatment and these next few days are extremly important to getting that treatment. When was your test done? You need a blood test or retest befoe 72 hours are up to prove your innocence!
I hope all turns out well! As you were told the Dr HAS to treat you for thirty days or until you can find another Dr.
Make sure your curent doc knows that you know your rights but keep this as a last resort and try and get the test before you pull out the big guns of getting an attorney to enforce your legal rights.
Good luck:)

(Please excuse any erors as I am on my mobile iphone)
I do compliance for a large pain clinic in Florida. We do in-house tests using EIA (instant-read pee cup... little lines appear telling us whether positive or negative for specific classes of drugs), however those sometimes have false positives. The only way to know for sure is to send it off to an outside lab that can use chromotography to seperate out the drugs. Such a lab, i.e.: AIT or Dominion Diagnostics, can then specify the various levels of drugs and where they might have come from. For example, someone on Oxycodone often has small levels of hydrocodone in their urine, as oxycontin and sometimes oxycodone has up to a 1% impurity of hydrocodone.

Hope this helps others with the same question....