Pain Management Community
false positive oxycodone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

false positive oxycodone?

i have been a cooccuring disorder nurse for almost 5 years now, i have administered drug tests and of course i have had to take them for work. Recently i was dx with a degenerative autoimmune disease of unknown type, they are still going through the tests and studies, but i had reconstructive surgery on my knee and was placed on vicodin which i took as prescribed,  this was before my doctors knew i had something degenerative, and was placed on pain management after 4 months of physical therapy due to worsing of pain and inability to function normaly in society. My initial drug screen for my pain management doctor showed positive for oxycodone which is not HYDROCODONE which was the medication i was on and taking regularly. I alsontested positive for hydrocodone as was expected. i also took tramadol for breakthrough pain in between my doses. How is this possible? The metabolites for both oxy and hydro codone are distinguishable through the very thorough testing of urine that is common in pain management clinics. But i DID NOT take any other medications...now i could be at risk for loosing my dr through a false positive, i find out this tuesday, but i have been studying and studying to figure out if taking both these opiates ( which tramadol is defined as a low opioid) could cause this result? Any suggestions?
Did they bother re-testing you even?  I have seen the mix-ups in the lab when my son was always being tested for something or another.  What are you going to do if they REALLY plan on taking away job, or license.  I had to hire a lawyer due to the incompetence of the hospice nurse we THOUGHT we had.  She had removed my son with last stage leukemia  from hospice after meeting him and me, and we were laughing!  I guess, even though he was put ON hospice from his oncologist the day before (he had relapsed again and given 4-8 wks to live, he lived 5 weeks), I had NO idea SHE removed herself and HIM from hospice, that is, until we got NO help, and I found out after his death. It seemed we seemed so HAPPY!, she simply disregarded the oncologists orders!  I know it seems incredible, and it WAS, but the point is I had to hire a lawyer, who dealt with medical issues, and sue them. I wasn't up to it for months, but when I DID, it worked, I won, and the judge was horrified by my sons NON-TREATMENT! Especially since he was literally dying before her eyes when she removed him,(the SAME DAY as he was put ON HOSPICE!) I had NO HELP, and was putting a feeding tube down him every night, giving him low dose chemo, because he said it made him feel better, and was LITERALLY without ANY sleep for the last 5 weeks he lived, not to mention I was already sleep deprived due to his 5 years of ongoing treatment.  It was the fact I lost precious quality time at the end, I was SO SLEEPY, and he had a double-lumen central line catheter that I had to flush twice a day, (that was for the entire 5 yrs, but I really needed a break at the end, and I was too tired to keep awake, but I HAD to!)  THIS was my sole reason for the lawsuit, and her lying later about really being there, and doctoring charts that led me to the lawyer. Look around and ask around, and if you didn't take the meds they are accusing you of, there are lawyers who only tackle DOCTORS!  And it isn't easy, they all stick together, as I am sure you know.i really can't remember HOW I found such a good lawyer, but I did. It could be as simple as a misread, or a wrong label, or as you are thinking, 2 drugs interacting causing another formulation to be detected.  I really think you will win this thing, just hope the fact they might take away your livelihood in the interim, doesn't break you, both financially and the stress of it.  Stress is THE worst thing for me!  There are people out there who LOVE to cause other people problems, and I will NEVER understand it!  Keep us posted, and good luck, and I mean it sincerely.