Pain Management Community
fentanyl gel patch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

fentanyl gel patch

I have searched all over and hope that someone can please help me. My doctor has written me an rx for the fentanyl 12mcg patch to add to the 50mcg I am currently on. She suggested that I use the gel patch but I need to know who makes a 12mcg with the gel. Does Sandoz still make this patch? I called a major chain pharmacy and asked but they acted like I was a drug seeker so I thought if I could find out the mfg. company's name first then I could ask them to order it.
PriCar's DURAGESIC, Mylan fentanyle patch
It may also help if your doctor did or will write the script saying that the patch must be the gel kind - that way when you take it to the pharmacy, if they don't carry it, they can order it and know it's not just your idea/preference to have the gel form (not saying that it is - just that it would be something the pharmacy could have on file saying that's what the doctor wants you to have).

I'm actually not really surprised the pharmacy didn't give you any information over the phone because of the schedule of narcotic that fentanyl is - because of the problem with drug seekers, thieves, DEA, etc., they are very limited as to what information they can give out about certain meds - unless they have a written prescription in hand.  I know when I was on the patches and was having trouble finding them, I had tried calling some pharmacies to see who might have them in stock and they all told me they were not permitted to give that information out over the phone.  So I ended up having to drive all over trying to find a pharmacy that had them - I actually ended up at a larger chain pharmacy, and although the one that I physically went in to didn't have them, because I had the written script in hand and they were able to see it, they were able to call another of their locations to see if they had them (the problem I had been running into was that my script was for two boxes and everyone only seemed to have one in stock and because of the schedule the med is, they can't give you a partial fill and put a refill on it for the rest - I was also on the patient assistance program so it had to be the brand name and not the generic) - anyway, they were able to find another of their locations that had both boxes and they were able to talk to the pharmacist at that location and have him set them aside for me after faxing them a copy of the script I had the hard copy for.

So - if you take the hard copy script into a local pharmacy, the pharmacist there may be able to tell you whether they carry the gel form or not.
The Mylan brand is NOT gel filled.  I'm not sure which is but MYLAN is NOT.

I would think that you Doctor will HAVE to write it on your prescription for you. If that's what he wants you to take.

Best of luck to you and PLEASE let us know if you are able to find them.......Sherry
Hi there...the only gel filled that I have any experience with is the Sandoz brand.  I don't know if they manufacture that dose though as I use a much higher dose.
From everything I've read on these pages, I'm certainly glad that I need these medications in Australia instead of the US. Your medical system is nothing short of disgusting. I haven't had any of the problems I read about with such regularity on these pages. I get the script, take it to the pharmacy, and they fill it. When I needed extra information, I called the Government department of health - no problems.
I can't remember who makes the gel-filled patches. I had them originally but really couldn't tolerate them.  The glue stuck to my skin and was impossible to get off.  I ruined so many shirts before I realized what was going on.  And I didn't seem to get good pain relief with the gel either.  I'd either be nodding off or it wasn't helping at all with the pain.  In addition, for me, they just don't stick and stay on ... despite the glue that I can't get off, lol.  I hope you have better luck with the gel-filled ones.

I find the patch really helpful, though.  I am supposed to change it every 2 days but I hold off for every 3 because I'm afraid of having to increase the dose.  I seem to become tolerant to things quite easily.  Although, at this point with my pain, I probably should do the every 2 days.

I get three boxes at a time and at times I've had to wait for them to order an extra box.  It's frustrating that they can't partially fill your order and when the balance comes in to give it to you then.  I really can't understand that.  I don't see how it makes it more abusable or anything.  Luckily for me, since I change it every 3 days instead of 2 (most of the time,) I have a couple of extra on hand.  Otherwise, I'd end up having days where I would have any while I wait for them to fill the entire order.