Pain Management Community
fentanyl patch-good and bad

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

fentanyl patch-good and bad

What are the good results and the bad results with the fentanyl patch.  
I was prescribed fentanyl patches and couldnt keep them on, I would lose them or they would bunch up. alot of people have this problem,I even called the manufacturer and they suggested use deoderant on the area I was putting the patch, no help. my doctor finally had to change my meds. hope they work for you.
i too wear the patch. and i sweat ALOT. so i had told the dr they weren't staying on so he told me of this different name brand that worked better than the generic. it works well
My pain doctor has not mentioned the patch yet, but the one thing I am getting tired of is waking up in the morning and being in so much pain I don't want to move, but it usually gets better after my oxycontin & oxycodone kick in.  I too am a  heavy sweater.  Are they any other pro's or con's to the fentanyl patch?
I was allergic, severely to the adhesive that is used to keep the patch in place. The pain relief was ok but I just couldn't wear it look enough to determine it it was going to be effective.

I know we have members that have been on the patch for years and swear it is better than sliced bread. Most have reported that the side effects diminish as their system adjust to the opiate.

Sorry this is all I can offer.

Good luck to you,
Tuck
I have been using fentanyl transdermal patches (25 mcg/hr) for several weeks.  I have had some problems with the patches falling off, but I have learned that if you select the Mylan-produced matrix style patches you can use Tegaderm to cover the patch and hold it securely in place for the entire 72 hours.

I have had much less luck with the Sandoz-produced gel reservoir style patches.  They frequently fall off and their design makes it more difficult to use any additional adhesive tape.  
I have a general question.... my mother takes 100mcg fentanyl patches and is also prescribed 15mg oxycodone pills for breakthrough pain. The dose for the oxycodone is 15mg  but she can take two at a time, up to 3 times daily. That's 90 mg of oxycodone plus the 100mcg patch of fentanyl..... I know that her back pain is real, however this seems like an excessive amount of pain medication. Any thoughts? She had a failed back fusion surgery in 2001 and switched from Oxycontin to the patch in January. Her reason for switching was so that she wouldn't be so "loopy" as we have called her but it seems as though we're right back where we started.
I have use FENTANYL PATCH for 1 yr 1/2 for now.  I have no problem with it, it hardly fall off, even I exercise and Sweat. I recommend you guys to try the generic brand " MYLAN"

http://www.***********.com/product/productDetails.aspx?pid=159&query=1

This is the on I am talk able. This one stays on pretty well.
Well my doctor pulled me off the fentanyl patch and put me on MS Contin 30mg 3x a day.  I had an MRI today and lumbar/scacrum looks worse then the last one, but I am not a doctor.  I do know that I am so upset and very unhappy with my pain doctor.  I don't think I will be going to him much longer.  This has been a very long hard road.  A close friend of mine is one of the best joint replacement surgeons in Idaho and he told me yesterday that I needed to take charge and stop letting these doctors mess around with my health like they have been doing.  I told him he needed to take up back surgery and fix my back.  I have a feeling the MS Contin is not going to help me.  But it is cheaper then the fentanyl patch.  $455 for the 100's for a months supply.  Am very frustrated now.