Pain Management Community
fibromyalgia and neuropathy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

fibromyalgia and neuropathy

2 yrs ago I was tested for neuropathy and was told I have it from my hands to my feet. last week I was told I may have fibromyalgia. My question is can you have both of these? I also also shoe signs  of diabitas I also have tested for COPD and i also have asthma.
The simple answer is yes you can have both.  But fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion, so I would ask - have you done any research about it?  Do your symptoms fit that description?  The two types of pain are different.  The fibromyalgia is primarily a pain in the muscles and tendons, whereas the neuropathies are of the nerve fibers.   The first presents with soreness and achiness or tenderness, and the second, burning, or electrical type buzzing, or sharp cutting pain etc.  Diabetes and peripheral neuropathies often go together.  Also, Asthma can masquerade as COPD, and visa versa.  So I don't know if any of that helped, but it's additional information.  Hope it's of some help.

I wish you well.  Blessings, Jan
yes..look into the diseases u may have//that u were dx-ed with...learning and educating urself is very important...i have also been dx with fibro and dont see it as i dont have like 11 or more pain spots...who knows...gotta name it but best thing is be sure u understand
Hi Jeannie,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad you found us but sorry to hear about all your medical problems.

Yes you can have both neuropathy and fibromyalgia. As Jan explained they effect different systems. Just as you can have asthma and COPD. They are two very different diseases. You can have one and not the other.

Generally diabetic neuropathy does not appear until the disease has progressed and not during the early stages, or in your case "showing signs."  Peripheral neuropathy is the general term that refers to disorders of peripheral nerves. It is a relatively common neurological disorder that results from damage to the peripheral nerves. Fibromyalgia
though often thought of a disease of exclusion there are 18 specific points at 9 bilateral locations that are exceptionally sensitive to the touch in people with fibromyalgia. When a qualified physician exams a patient those are some of the signs that he looks for when diagnosing the disease. Fibromyalgia trigger points exist in nine bilateral muscle locations. These trigger points are often thought of as the cardinal symptoms of Fibro when all lad tests are negative for RA and similar diseases.  

Best of luck to you. If you have additional questions please feel free to post them. I will look forward to your updates.
Take Care,
Tuck
Thank you for your help. I have been reading up on alot about these things and I think you 3 are the best. It is like I dont know what way to turn sometimes. this Dr. and my neuro. Dr. seem to be throwing these things at me and there not the good things.I have been seeing them both for 8 yrs. but they never really tell me much. I am starting to think I am one big test. every 2 to 3 weeks I give blood and all that **** to one or the other. and to tell you the truth I have broke alot of bones in the past and i keep telling them I think its that but they say I find a reason for everything so they dont do more tests. I think sometimes they forget Im a person. I have to much meds I think but they tell me i need them all. this is a book know sorry! I just wanted to thank you and giving me a way to start looking in to all this.I got more info from you 3 then from my Dr's. thanks your the best.