Pain Management Community
finding a doctor who specializes in sphincter of oddi dysfunction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Please help me find a good doctor that specilaizes in this horrible disease!! I've been suffering for 15 years with it even after having major transduodenal sphincteroplasty surgery.  I don't know where to go from here since this occurred nine years ago, but my symptoms are coming back and I don't know where to turn.
I would consider going to the nearest Medical University, for instance UCLA, Johns Hopkins or USCD. There you generally find doctors who are more knowledgeable about a wide range of disorders, or if they don't know it, they're certainly willing to either find out more about it, or refer you to a doctor who does know more about it, but usually most articles on this dirorder are written by doctors at these universities. Good luck and best wishes!

Sara RN
Since you've had sphincteroplasty surgery, you may have developed scar tissue that is now obstructing the opening of the duct.  Has your doctor considered endoscopic sphincterotomy to remove the sphincter in its entirety?  I'm sure one of the first things any gastroenterologist will want to do is whip out the scope and check out the surgical site.  SOD can be treated by any gastro doc, so if you aren't comfortable with the one who did the original surgery, it's time to find a new one.  

There is also a possibility that your symptoms have nothing to do with SOD.  Gallstones and sludge in the ducts can give you the same symptoms.  
was wondering if  could ask you a question about Sphincter of Odin disorder. I had a Sphincter of Oddi operation last month. The doctor made a 12 mm cut. I am still having some pressure in the upper right abominal region and want all the pain to go away. Can your recommend another medical procedure that will completely stop this upper right abdominal pain? Will any other medical procedure get rid of this stupid disease? They also ballooned the biliary tubes.
***@****
I have had this for 30 years. They removed my gallbladder but the pain continued. For me librax and a heating pad help to relieve the spasms. I actually had a doc try to tell me that there is no proof that this condition even exists.