Pain Management Community
getting off Flexeril

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

getting off Flexeril

Hi group,
How hard is it to get off Flexeril. I have been taking it for 9 months.?
thanks,
mkh9
And it's always good to hear from you!! I don't think you'll have a terrible time with a taper. I took Flexeril for awhile but it produced such a "hang over" effect that I could barely function the next day. I was employed at the time and needed to be as alert as possible.

I tried a few others but either they weren't effective or they produced the same side effect as Flexeril. During one particularly nasty pain flare and after three years of my physician pleading with me to try diazepam I reluctantly agreed. I know the dangers of the drug and was concerned about it's side effects and addictive qualities. However it's been a wonder drug for me. Granted I rarely take it... still concerned that my body will become accustomed to it.  Rarely means one, rarely two, every two - three weeks, sometimes a month. I just came off a horrid pain flare and took the diazepam three consecutive times. It got me through the debilitating pain when nothing works... and now the bottle is tucked away for the next flare.  Because I take it so very seldom it is as effective now as it was the first time I took it four years ago.... at least that's my belief.

When going off Flexeril your physician may percribe a small amt of diazepam to help ... but maybe not as you don't want to exchange one for another.

Flexeril can't "hurt" you. If it's effective you may require it as part of your total pain management protocol.  Sometimes I think my meds aren't working... but all I have to do is skip or be late with a dose and I quickly know that they are effective.

Whatever you decide you know that I wish you well. But I don't really think you'll have an issue taping off the Flexeril. You take your meds so responsibly and are not over using the Flexeril so it shouldn't be a huge issue.... at least that's my thoughts.
Hi mkh9,

I don't take Flexerill, I use Neurontin and I've stopped it before without any problem. I don't know if that would transfer over to Flexerill or not.  That being said, may I ask why you are wanting to stop your Flexerill?  Hopefully, your condition has improved to the point that you no longer need it.  :)  

As with all medication, your safest bet would be to ask your Doctor to give you a taper plan and go from there.  That way you will have the fewest problems possible.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help to you but I'm hoping that someone will come along that has tapered off of Flexerill and can give you some first hand information.

Please keep us informed on how you are doing and what your Doctor suggests to you.

I'll be looking for your updates...........Sherry  :)
Hi Mkh,

The obvious answer is to discuss this with your prescribing physician. I assume he will inform you. like most every medication it should be weaned out of your system. But only your physician can give this advice.

Flexeril is not an opiate but if you have been taking it regularly you may experience some withdrawal like symptoms. Your body will "look" for this drug... when it doesn't find it it reacts.

According to what I have read it's called the "Discontinuation Syndrome." Symptoms include, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, sweats, insomnia, malaise, and a few others.

Flexeril is not in the same family of meds as Neurontin and can't really be compared. However neither should be stopped abruptly without a physician's order and monitoring.

Best of luck to you. I hope you will share with us what you learn. I know you are not "addicted" but the Substance Abuse Forum may have more information for you. I would post your question there also. I'll look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Please forgive me for my mis-type in my post.  I meant to say that I have stopped my Baclofen  not my Neurontin.  sometimes I think my fingers go much faster than my "brain" does.  :(

It's the Baclofen that I didn't have any problems stopping. But that still may not help you much as they are still 2 different medications and you can still have problems since you've been on them for awhile as Tuck pointed out.  

Sorry again for the mis-type ( I take both medications) and confusion.........Sherry  :)
Hi Tuck,
Good to hear from you. I will ask the doctor about tapering off Flexeril or cyclobenziprine, when it is time. It really only works for about 3 weeks but it has helped me sleep and with night sweats too. I have taken the lowest dose and only once a day so I hope I can just chop the pill in half then quarters and take something to help me sleep. It does work on the brain stem. So I don't know what to expect. But at some point  I will have to get off of it. I was not asking for a specific plan rather what peoples experiences were when getting off of it. I figure since it made me really sleepy before that it will do the opposite after getting off. I was on Neurontin for several months at about 1200mg/day. It took me 2 months to get off of it. The side effects were mostly insomnia and sometimes more pain that I had to start with. I felt much better when i got off of it. Not of the meds are working for me except the accupunture helps off and on. I will brouse the  substance abuse site to see if anyone has gone off of this.
thanks,
mkh9
I was taking flexeril for a while but not everyday. I mostly took it when I went to sleep to help me sleep better. When I stopped it, I did have trouble falling asleep but that's not out of the norm for me. I've never taken a muscle relaxer during the day because they just make me tired. I've taken soma and robaxin as well as flexeril and they all do the same thing. I've never had a problem stopping any of those and I've never tapered down.

Thanks for all your kind words of wisdom. I don't have to go off of it yet but I wanted to know what I was in for. The pain doc asked me if it was still working and I told him it was mostly helping  with sleep and night sweats, but i do wonder if it isn't helping more than that on my flare up days. I will probably do as you are doing and keep some for the future flare ups once i get off of Flexeril.
take care,
mkh9