Pain Management Community
hand pain on pinky side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

hand pain on pinky side

For about two weeks I've been having pain in my hand, along the right side of my hand along where the pinky is and down that side.  
The pain in random.  At times aching, at other instances stabbing, today it was at times as if something in my hand like a splinter was poking me in my hand from the inside.  Other times it doesn't exactly hurt just...is weird feeling.  
I have noticed that holding my hand flat, my pinky doesn't lift like my on my other hand.  I CAN lift it, though.  

The recent start of this pain was after horse back riding for the first time in nearly a decade.  If you were unaware, controlling a horse takes *a LOT* of strength in not only your legs, but also your arms and hands.  And I think me using my hand in a position it hasn't been used in in quite some time might have bothered it.  

Initially I thought this was, residue, from something I had done in the past.  Also to my hand, but it's in a different spot.  
The initial injury was after moving a small but heavy box (bullets, which can be VERY heavy depending on caliber) and something in my hand snapped or popped.  
It did hurt for almost two weeks, until while during the second week (which I was on vacation during the time so I was able to rest the hand), I came across a news article about Carpral Tunnel Syndrome and it said something about easing pain with shaking your hand.  I had tried a lot of other things and figured it couldn't hurt to try.  
I did and it was better.  

Since then, every once in awhile the pain, or rather an annoying ache will come back to my hand.  Especially if I've overexerted myself; as in the horse back riding.  
But this is by far the worse it's been.  

I'm a cashier supervisor at a retail store overnights so I not only run a register, but I use my hands to lift and carry boxes, heavy bags (grocery bags as we bag our own when cashiering), but also to pull open some boxes and to push carts.  It's rare that I don't have to do SOMETHING strenuous with my hands.  

I've noticed certain things make the pain worse, where as sometimes a shocking 'stab' will occur when I'm just resting my hand.  
Things that bother it:  Turning a steering wheel, especially tight u-turns, or backing up when you have to turn your hand certain ways.  Lifting heavy, and sometimes not heavy, grocery bags.  

It does not bother me to type, since I hardly if ever use my pinky finger to type.

Personally I can't stand the pain scale numbers but if it helps AT ALL, here are some that I feel cover how I feel.  

At rest:  3 - 4 (mild and annoying)  every few minutes/seconds it will jump towards 6-7 but that's when the sharp pain hits while not even moving my hand.  

At WORSE (ie: just turned the steering wheel and it hit me with a gasp) 7-8 (this is not my exactly worse pain ever, but like I said, it will/can make me gasp)

At best : 2  (I say 2 because it feels like one of those things that I just *know* is there)

Things I've tried:  Arthritis meds 600 mg- took three, slightly helped.  Hand compression glove- seems to help a bit more than say a CT brace since this is in my HAND not my wrist.  It also doesn't constrict movement a lot so I can still preform my job.

That's all I can think of right now.  I would like to see if anyway can think of what this may be, or something that may help to relieve the pains I keep getting.  If I should at least go to an urgent care (I do not have primary doctor) or if I could 'fix' it myself?  

Thank you
Hi!
The pain and inability to lift the little finger could be due to nerve compression. This is possible at various levels. It could be due to compression of the spinal nerves at the cervical spine level or, ulnar nerve at the elbow level or even at the wrist. Once a nerve is compressed, it can cause pain or numbness anywhere along its path. Hypothyroidism, diabetes, tumors and infections of the ulnar and spinal nerves and rheumatism can all cause numbness of little and ring finger. Please consult a neurologist.
It is unlikely to be carpal tunnel syndrome as that occurs due to median nerve compression and affects the thumb and index and middle finger. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.