Pain Management Community
head ache after nap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

head ache after nap

I am 40 male.rarely i used to take 20 to 30 minutes nap after lunch at 3 pm or so . Immediately after that i suffer moderate to severe head ache upto going  the night. please answer me why and what to do for this problem?
I don't know but from the reading I done on it , it seems the perfect nap is thirty minutes long and if you sleep too long or not enough sleep it can cause headaches. Also what your eating could be a factor in why your getting the headaches too. Stress is a big cause and when you try and nap when your stressed or know you have things to do it can cause tension leading to headaches.
I am sorry I don't have the answer but your not alone, I will get a headache if I take a nap in the afternoon too, in my case I think it is stress because the whole time I am thinking/worrying about all the things I need to do and has not been done.
I hope this helps and I will keep looking to find you an answer:)
I also have a headache if I take any length of nap.  it is very frustrating especially when you don't feel well to begin with.  Often I find myself fighting to stay awake but fear lying down becuase I don't want to nod off and wake up with a head ache.  It has never made any sense to me why it would be different than sleeping at night but for me it has always caused head aches.  I have mentioned it to doctors many times over the years but no one has ever had an explanation.
According to studentdoctor.net, the Senior Neurologist suggests that the main concern of a HA that occurs with sleep is tumor related ( fourtunately tumor is a rare cause of HA) When you sleep, there is some Co2 increase that leads to increase in ICP (inter-cranial pressure) in the contest space-occupying lesions. See a Neurologist and get an MRI. Good luck with you HA and take care, Mollyrae
Sorry for my spelling today, I'm tired...............
I am not so sure you have tumors from getting headaches from naps but that is a possibility. I think it has to do with the time you take the nap like right after eating and what you eat and how long you nap. I believe mine is from stress like I said but I will keep looking there has to be an explanation!
I was too thinking about blood glucose levels and blood pressure they could also be involved.
I think going to a neurologist and getting an MRI for a nap related headache is a bit extreme given no other symptoms or problems.  If we went that far over every ache and complaint we would always be having some test done at the hospital.  I don't mean that to sound offensive and of course no one should ever ignore serious symptoms that persist.  I and sandee have this problem too as we mentioned and know countless other people that do as well.  
Yeah, I agree. It was a suggestion. Something I read while researching HA's. But if the Headaches are long term and a real problem like it sounds, then I think an MRI with contrast is definitly an option.
I also will get a headache after a nap, or if I don't sleep long enough. It's the very reason I don't nap unless I am exhausted. And I don't mean to offend either. I did had a MRI of my skull about a year ago for a different reason and there was no tumor. But if HA's are persistant and occur other than with an occasional nap I would be concerned. But you should do what you feel is right for you. Take Care, Tuck
I am on this site right now, because I googled "Headaches after napping" Already have had many MRI's and have 13 brain lesions.  MS I guess, but I am migraine prone....But everytime LATELY, each nap I take each day from 1:30 to 2"3- or 3 pm I wake with the back of my skull and under my right eye throbbing in pain.  Now I will have this headache for 3 days at least.  It's horrible. Have to have the nap, get up at 5 and am 60 yrs. old.  HELP..also I am very stressed out in bad marriage.