Pain Management Community
hernia operation gone bad
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hernia operation gone bad

I had hernia surgery 7 1/2 wks ago cannot believe the pain i have had. It was a spagelian hernia and I am a female. After surgery my incision & other private parts swelled up the size of a cantelope and turned black & blue , so pain full couldn't walk. bruising and swollen from upper thighs to belly button and around both sides. Said it's a hematoma. Used mesh but that's all I really know. At 5 wks the incision opened and drained for about 4 days lost 2 inches around my waist during this, finally closed back up still about the size of my fist and very painful. Answer so far is take another pain pill. doc siad it would be about a 3 day recovery so far almost 8 weeks. Told me to go back to work on pain meds, common sence tells me that they really don't mix with dangerous machinery. This has been a nightmare for me. We live in a med size town with 2 hospitals tried to get a 2 nd opion at other hosp. but was pretty much laughed out of there. said yea you have a hematoma and alot of scar tissue. I know there is something wrong but don't know how to find out what. What could he have done to me?? Everyone who has seen me has been in total aww including several surgical nurses.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
A hematoma can be ugly and slow to mend.  Sometimes surgery has complications that they don't tell you about until it happens because it's rare. Of those I have known who have had hernia surgery, most come through just fine, but sometimes it gets nasty. My ex-husband had three surgeries before they got it right, but they stretched the mesh so tight that he still can't lift anything without pain.  I hope you heal well in time, but don't be afraid to seek another opinion, even if you have to leave town to do it.
Blank
82861_tn?1333457511
Yeah, I think the phrase, "you have a hematoma and a lot of scar tissue" says it all.  You may have internal scar tissue that has caused structures like bowels to adhere together in ways they aren't supposed to.  Do you ever have constipation or pain and cramping after eating?  Those a good clues to possible intestinal adhesions.  As frank1229 mentions, one or more nerves may be entrapped in scar tissue.

It's just a travesty that other medical "professionals" have blown you off, but you're far from alone in that kind of treatment.  Can you go see another doctor out of town?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pain Management Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...