Pain Management Community
hip scope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

hip scope

Hi! For the last 5 yrs I have been dealing with pain that started in my groin on the right side then my I started getting pain in my back, butt and thigh. A yr ago found out I had Chiari with a syrinx and had surgery. My dr.thought that would help with all my pain but it didn't
Then this past October I was diagnosed with a hip labral tear.This past January I had a hip scope done.My surgeon told me that I had a bone spur on my right thigh that he shaved down and used two rods to push down the labrum then stitched it up.I just started pt a few weeks ago but some of the stretches make the pain worse and so far I have tried narcotics and muscle relaxers but so far nothing has help. I don't know what to do cuz sometimes the pain is so bad my hands shake

Hello and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am very sorry to hear about your Chronic Pain and long time issues. We know how difficult the journey through Chronic Pain can be.

We're all different. What works for one may not be effective for another..... as you have discovered. I don't know what opiates you have been prescribed.... I do know that finding good Pain Managementnt is a trial and error process and can be lengthy.

My Physician must have tried seven- eight combinations of medications before we found the one that was effective. So if you have not gone that route I encourage you to do so. It takes patience and determination from both the physician and yourself.  

MedHelp also has a Chiari Forum.  You are always welcome here but if you have not posted in that Forum I encourage you to also post there.  Those members have personal information about the condition and may have more answers.

If you haven't consulted a PMP it may be helpful. Your PCP should be able to direct you to one. They may have treatment options that have not been considered.

Please let us know how you are doing. We welcome your updates and active participation in our community. I wish you the best!

Take Care,
~Tuck
Thank you for responding to my post. So far I have gone to 2 pain specialists and that's how I found out that I had a hip labral tear. I am currently taking percocet and muscle relaxers. The muscle relaxers do help my neck and arm pain due to cervical stenosis but so far nothing helps my hip pain. I have tried several diff kinds of meds and also tried cortizone shots. I am a strong person but I just want my life back. P.S. I have joined the Chiari forum.
I am glad that you joined our Chiari Forum.

The journey through Chronic Pain is challenging, at the very least!! We get it!!   Most of us are strong ppl too. I think many of us have felt the way you do, "I just my life back."

I don't know what lies ahead for you... but what I have learned is that life doesn't have to be exactly as we planned it.... or what we had hoped for. We're not all dealt the same cards and learning how to play them well is truly what matters. I'll never play softball again nor can I run along the beach. I've learned how to enjoy the things I can.... and found things that bring me joy. It's learning how to live with Chronic Pain that makes the differance.

However it sounds like your pain may not be well controlled. Has your PMP tried you on other opiates or combination of medications? It's important he/she knows your level of pain and your ability to function. Don't be afraid to talk to your PMP and tell him how you are coping and feeling. I've learned to be assertive, not demanding or aggressive but assertive.

There are also Pain Therapists that can help us adjust. I saw a good Therapist that actually did not specilaize in Pain Management. He was just a great Therapist. He helped me greatly early on in this journey. You may also benifit from the same.

We're here for you. I wish you well and hope you'll keep in touch.

Take Care,
~Tuck