how do I get referred for pain management?
I am going to a new internal medicine doctor tomorrow because I have a variety of health issues that aren't being addressed by my other docs.  I would like to be referred to a pain management doctor for a couple of my problems.  How do you go about getting referred to a pain specialist?  Will this tick off my new doc when I tell him this?
Hi Rocketship:

Tell your Doctor that you feel your pain issues are not being addressed. Explain to him/her that you are in need of pain management and would like a referral. The worst he can say is no. This also depends on your insurance. Do you need a referral? Doctors are Humans just like us and most do understand your need for pain managemant. What concerns me is that this Doctor doesn't know you yet and might have a problem with it, I don't know. In my state, we don't have pain Doc's. Our PCP's take care of our pain so we have already established a relationship with them. Be honest with him, Doc's appreciate that. Take care and good luck,
Mollyrae

Hi Rocketship,

I am sorry I was not able to respond to your post earlier. However Mollyrae gave you great advice. I hoping that your visit to the Internal Medicine Physician went well. I beleive I have told you that I see an Internal Medicine Physician, she is a D.O. I think they are the best when you have multiple medical issues.

I am hoping your request for a PMP was also granted.
Beast Regards,
Tuck
many doctors are happy to send u to someone else to address pain issues..as many r too afraid to write scrips anymore...be sure u get a good one and even then, u can not rely on him always scribing ur meds...it is not easy for a chronic pain patient to get on long termnarcotics these dayst
I am wondering the same thing and am hoping someone knows of a Pain Specialist (Doctor) in LACEY, WASHINGTON  (State)

Anyone know of one???