Pain Management Community
how long after I stop taking norco can I consume alcohol?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I injured my back last week and my doctor prescribed me norco for the pain. he told me i couldnt drink alcohol while taking the medicine but its my friends birthday and i want to be able to drink with him. i took the medicine this morning and im wondering if i dont take it the rest of the day if ill be able to drink tonight. bad idea?
Norco is 10 mg hydrocodone with 325 mg of tylenol.  In other words, it's double-strength vicodin with half the tylenol.  Hydrocodone is an immediate release, short-acting medication that lasts for about 6 hours, but some will still be in your system even though you don't feel it.  The danger is that both narcotics and alcohol depress breathing.  You certainly don't want to mix the two and take a chance of not waking up in the morning.  While you'll probably be OK with a couple of beers, ask yourself if it's really important to celebrate this birthday with alchohol?  If this guy is a real friend, he'll understand why you need to abstain.
NORCOS  were my only friend for soooooooooo long. I would throw them away. Drink a beer if you must, but those  norcos robbed me of so much in life. NEVER AGAIN. My back is killine me , but i'll suk it up & deal with it in a healthy way for now own.  
god bless, memL
This is probably a late response but for future reference I will add this comment. Norco or Hydrocodone is a short acting narcotic. As Jaybay said it is in your system for about 6 hours. The bigger risk I see is consuming alcohol with acetaminophen (tylenol).

It is a statistical fact that alcohol and acetaminophen can (in some cases) case serious liver damage, even with a one time mixture. Alcohol appears to activate the enzyme CYP2E1 in the liver. That enzyme may be responsible for transforming acetaminophen into chemicals that can cause liver damage, even when acetaminophen is taken in standard therapeutic doses.  This effect appears to be even more so when the acetaminophen is taken after consumption of alcohol.

In my younger years I have had several drinks, six to seven hours after taking one dose of hydrocodone with no ill effects. Mind you I said several, not four, five or six. If you are a chronic pain patient and take Norcos on a regular basis the blood levels may be higher and last longer.  

The rule of thumb is to avoid alcohol for 24 hours after you take a short acting narcotic. Few ppl know of the danger of taking that tylenol (acetaminophen) to control a morning after hangover. So be cautious my friend.

Best of luck,
~Tuck