Pain Management Community
how long for meds to get out of system

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

how long for meds to get out of system

I have several prescibed meds, norco, oxycontin and valium.  The main problem is I hate my job, ya who doesn't.  But its getting worse.  I would like to get out and see if I could find a new job, most employers if not all employers now drug test potential employee's.  I have a feeling if I tell them about my back problems and the meds I am on they will round file my application and not even consider me for the job.  How long would it take to get these meds out of my systme???  and what would I  use???  I had heard taking the no flush niacin works.  Can anyone confirm this or give me any advice.

Thanks a bunch

Chuck
Tags: tests, meds
if you can confirm that shomehow, sue them, its discrimination
Hell Chuck,

First of all there are legal limits on what a prospective employer can ask and not ask. They can ask if you can preform the required duties of the position. They cannot ask if you have a back injury. So obviously if you can't lift you would not apply for a warehouse position.

Yes many employers require drug tests. When I applied for a part time position (that I could perform) I told them that I had a perscription for a narcotic and I knew it would show up on my drug test. I told them I could provide them with documentation from my physician regarding the narcotic if they so required. I did not tell them why I took the narcotic and they did not ask. Good judgement call on their part. My test did show the use of prescribed narcotic, they did not ask for a physicians documentation and I got hired.

So I would apply for anothe job if you are unhappy in your current one. Life is too short to be tied to a job that you do not like. If you can change I would sertainly do so. Just a word of caution, do not let your present employer know that you are looking.

Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes,
Peace, Tuck  
I hope you do look for work you would enjoy but this is not the way to go about it. it is not safe to take anything to " flush" your system from medications you take on a daliy basis. if you do as the others say and just tell them your prescibed a certain medication you should be fine.
Thank you for all the great information.  Yes I hate having a job that when you wake up in the morning you almost get sick from thought of going to your job.  By the way I work at a hospital.  I am beginning to think there are no jobs out there that one can enjoy doing????  but am keeping my fingers crossed.  Take care all and once again thank you.