Pain Management Community
knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

knee pain

the pain is at the right side of my right knee, its situated near the fibula, not indicating that my bone is the one hurting, the pain is distinctive as it only hurts in a manner or form of a thread, the pain doesn't take up all of the right part of my knee, its just a thread shape pain that seems to extend from the femur down to the fibula. I've been diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome and have been subjected to therapy but somehow, I think its not the correct diagnosis as I have gone to rehab for 2 months and it did seem to reduce the pain but after 2 months, its back up again and it hurts like it has not been treated at all. I am athletic, I jog 3x a week and play futsal
Hi!
One possibility is pinched lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, that comes from the hip area and gets pinched. This condition is called meralgia paresthetica and is often due to weight gain or wearing tight clothes and belts. Losing some weight or wearing loose clothes and belts often helps relieve the pain/numbness/tingling. Also injection of lignocaine (anesthetic agent) at the site or applying a local pain relief gel or spray also helps.
The other possibility is Iliotibial band friction syndrome. It can be a part of myofascial low back pain or it may have happened due to incorrect leg lifts causing strain on the band. Wrong sitting posture causing improper transmission of force and strain on the band can bring about pain. Changing posture while sitting, using a good chair with back support, getting up and walking once in a while, etc helps. When in pain, RICE treatment helps (rest, ice, compression by wearing a knee cap and elevation of leg). Use of ultrasound waves also help bring relief. Other possibilities are vascular pathologies such as deep vein thrombosis and clots and will need a dopplar study.  Please discuss these possibilities with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

good day Dr.,
thank you for responding. the possibility of the pinched lateral femoral cutaneous nerve seems unlikely as I am only 43 kgs and wear a lot of loose clothing. but the Illiotibial band friction syndrome might be the possible cause of the pain, I play indoor soccer or futsal and Its a pretty fast sport that keeps changing directions on full speed running. thanks again :)