knobs on hands
My wife is experiencing little knobs that swell on her fingers and hands.
The one on her finger knuckle hurts when she moves her finger, throbs at times and hurts if you put pressure on it.  What have we here? And `what treatment is needed?

Hello Zan,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your wives painful fingers and hands. She is fortunate to have a concerned husband in you.

Her symptoms sound like arthritis. It can often produce "knobs" and swelling as well as painful knuckles. I encourage her to consult a rheumatologist. These changes can destroy joints and be difficult to treat unless caught and treated early.

I am far from an expert but it sounds like the classic symptoms of arthritis. I hope she will see her physician very soon. Please let us know how she is doing and feel free to post additional questions.

Good Luck to You Both,
~Tuck.
hi zan,
if the swellings gets red and warm and goes away after 2-7 days, i agree with tuck...it is most likely rheumatoid arthritis.  having ra myself, it can be extremely painful and again tuck is right that you should see a dr asap.  the sooner you get started on a med. program the better off you will be in the long run.  and age in not a factor, by the way.  i was 39 when i started having symptoms.  on the other hand, if it stays for weeks or months at a time, it is most likely a ganglion cyst....they are harmless, really.  the old wives tale is you take a Bible and give it a good wack and that will break it up and it goes away.  it does work, but it does hurt a bit!  lol!  if you leave it alone, it will eventually go away on it's own.
i hope you'll let us know what you find out!
elizabeth