Pain Management Community
left arm shoulder pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

left arm shoulder pain

hi,ive had constant pain in my left arm for a few mths now,i got numness and tingly feelings all the way down my arm into my hand and fingers.,also with severe pain is in my shoulder and downto my elbow,ive tried strong painkillers,hot baths,and a bandaage but nothing works,i rub and maassage my shoulder and arm and that helps a little,its getting worse and is there constantly,its even keeping me awake at nights,please cud u help?thanks.
Hello donz and welcome to the Pain Forum.

How is your back? It sounds like either you have Cervical problems or you have pulled a muscle in your shoulder and with use, you may be re-injuring it.

Many Cervical problems present themselves as pain running down one arm with numbness and tingling associated with it. I guess I would contact your Physician and have him/her run a few tests including some imaging like an MRI or CT Scan which can pin point any problems in the Cervical region.

I would not wait to make that appt. In some cases, the longer you wait, the more damage you will create making the healing process much more difficult.

Please take care and good luck with the arm.

Mollyrae
PS- To try and alleviate some of the discomfort, try using a heating pad at night or soak in a warm tub for a while. This might help calm the area.

OTC meds like a good NSAID ( Naproxen) might be somewhat effective as well.
You may have a couple of different things going on there. You need to see an Orthpeadic Surgeon. For the time being lets see if we can't identify what was going on when you began having these problems. I have had seven shoulder surgeries total on both sides so I may be able to help you.

Try to remember what you were doing right before you started having these pains. Once we establish that it will give me a better idea of what may be going on.

Pain in the shoulder that radiates down to the elbow is an indication of a tear to the rotator cuff. The fact that is doesn't go away is an even better indicator. Then add in that it wakes you at night when your probably rolling on to it almost seals the deal. However, you never know you need an MRI with Contrast.

Does the pain increase if you try to raise your arm above your head?

Will the pain ease a bit if you apply ice rather than heat. You don't want to apply heat to a torn cuff (if that is your problem) unless you are going to stretch it or excercise it which I don't recommend until you have seen a doctor.

Think tingling in the forearm to the fingers sounds like a Carpal Tunnel issue or some other type of nerve damage.

Think about what I have asked you here and post back. I will share any experience I have with you.
Also have you noticed any weaknes in the arm/shoulder as time has gone by since the pain set in?

Please excuse my typo. With all of my injuries I am ashamed that I mispelled Orthopedic. lol

Post back as soon as you can.
i have  pain at night mostly in my left shoulder to my elbow  i woke up early hrs a few days ago but couldnt move my arm like it was seased and i straightend it a little at a time becouse it was quite servier  untill it was straight !     what could it be  ?   and why couldnt i move my arm ?   please aas it did kind of Worrie me x