Pain Management Community
lower back/buttock pain on left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

lower back/buttock pain on left side

i am 37 yrs. old woman and for the past two weeks now i have been in serious pain on my left buttock and the pain shoots to the back of my thigh. my left lower part of my leg feels alittle dull or slight tingly. when i walk downstairs my left leg feels like it wants to go out. What is happening?
Hi Sassy,

Welcome! I am so sorry to hear about your pain.... it sounds very much like mine. We're glad you found us at MedHelp and took the time to post.

I am not an expert in any thing and far from a medical authority. For what it's worth in my opinion you are experiencing Sciatica. This is a symptom and not a disease condition. Sciatica occurs when your sciatic nerve is irritated, compressed or inflamed... or all of the above.

The key is to find out what is causing this very painful symptom. Often this can be from a lower spinal structure condition....such as a bulging disc.

The six most common causes of sciatic pain are as follows:
Lumbar herniated disc
Lumbar spinal stenosis
Degenerative disc disease (DDD)
Isthmic spondylolisthesis
Piriformis syndrome
Sacroiliac joint dysfunction (SIJD)

Obviously there are more conditions that can cause Sciatica. I am not telling you that you have these or any condition. A true diagnosis can only come from your physician.

I have SIJD and experience almost constant sciatic pain. I know how extreme and disruptive this pain can be and my heart goes out to you. Before I had a diagnosis I rarely slept and struggled with daily, extreme and unmanaged pain. I was fortunate to find a diagnosis and pain control. I wish the same for you.

Warm compresses help my pain as does rest and gentle massage. Sitting is one of the worse positions for sciatica. Driving often aggravates the pain as does standing. I avoid laying on my back, indeed I cannot maintain that position.

I hope something I have offered is helpful. Please let us know what your physician has to say. If you have additional questions please feel free to ask. I'll be very interested to hear your updates. I wish you the best and hope you are able to find some answers.

Peace,
~Tuck
If you do have Sciatica your Dr. can give you some exercises that for some people take the pressure off that nerve. An anti-inflametory  drug with the physical therapy exercises should help if you have a sciatic nerve problem.....God Bless I hope you feel better soon it sounds very painful...........Dawn
that is where I had shingles, on my siatica nerve, it was hard to figure out what was wrong took  three weeks before I had one pock on my lower leg.
So be watching for that, I know you are young but I was not old enough either.Stess and many other factors are now making it so younger people are getting shingles. Hope you find out soon what is causing the pain, I feel bad for you as siatica is very painful. good luck and prayers to you.
You are in good hands.  All good responses, I love these great folks on this site.  I know that if I have Super spasms that I try to ignore, and I have them for a period of time, when they subside, the next day, or night I am super sore, tender...... Sorry, (long winded) do you remember having any nasty spasms?  Unless you have a compromised immune system, it's not likely to be shingles.  Shingles are not caused by stress, assuming you are healthy, you are too young.  You most likely pulled a muscle, were having spasms you weren't even aware of or compromised your nerve somehow (sleeping funny, sitting on something hard or uncomfortable for too long, etc).  Ice, stretch, heat, analgesia, they are good buddies of mine.  Feel better.