lumbar fusion
Two years ago I had a 2 level lumbar fusion for fractured vertebra and replacement of 2 discs that were grinded away. Surgery was 7 hours.The neurothapy (sp) was immobolizing. After recovery I attempted to recover what I l had lost these past 8 years, my desire to once again be an athlete. We all know knee replacement last 10-15 years, maybe.. Can the same occur with a fusion?  I have had 4 bilateral root blocks and one epidural in the past 5 months...it gives me little relief and last for about 2 months max.  I need to know can this same debilitating pain return?  In the past 3 months it has increased.   I am in PT for 8 years now and am a very compliant patient.  I have tried it all: Chinese medicine & herb, Chiropracty, accupressure and accupuncture.  Nothing helps  Even the Norco I take has little effect.  I am under the care of a wonderful  pain management Dr.  I have advanced degenerative disc disease along wih rapid dessication of the vertebrae.  Will the pain return?  If so, why?  Thank you.
Hi Grace,
Welcome to our Pain Management Forum. I am glad you found us and took the time to provide an informative post. There are no physicians on this forum....and I think your question can better be answered by one.

That said and if I understand your post correctly your are asking if pre-surgical - pre-repair pain can return following a fusion. My best guess would be no... meaning that the area that is repaired will most likely remain repaired. However it's not uncommon to have pain and problems with a vertebrae above or below the fusion.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. More physicians would love to have compliant patients like you.    

Advanced DDD can cause pain on it's own that will have little to do with your fusion. I wish you the very best and hope that you will become an active member of our community. I'll look forward to hearing from you again in the near future.

Take Care,
~Tuck