Pain Management Community
lyrica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

lyrica

how would lyrica help with pain management for L4-5 disc herniation? I've been using 50 mg twice daily for about 2 weeks now and I'm not sure that it's helping. thanks MLW3720
Personally, I don't believe Lyrica will help much, if at all. I suppose anythings worth a shot, but no one I know has been helped by Lyrica or Neurontin. Best of luck.
Hi, I have had 3 failed back surgeries and now have an SCS unit installed. I still take Lyrica and pain meds. Lyrica is suspost to make the nerve endings (dead) or just not as touchy. I have been on both Lyrica and Neurontin and the Lyrica does help me some. Not as much as my Dr wanted but it gives me about another 5-10% pain reduction. It does not help everyone even if they have the same problems. Remember that with lyrica you have to be taking it for about 2 weeks or more for the effects to take place. I take 250mg 2 X day. with you only taking 50mg there might not be enough to see the difference. I was at 1st taking 75mg 2Xday and then when i did not get the effect my Dr wanted he moved it up to 250mg 2Xday. and that did make a difference for me. Let you Dr know that you are not seeing and good effects, he might bump up the mg or he might have you stop taking the Lyrica. Please do not stop taking it with out your Dr's knowlage even at 50mg you can have some bad withdraw effects from the drug. Well I hope this helps you even if just a little. Best of luck.

R/
Adam
It could well be a question of dose; I didn't notice any significant reduction in pain until 300mg/day. Even then, I still had a lot of trouble and so I move up to 600mg/day. While I have had several months with far less pain (yippee), I am still evaluating the trade-off between Lyrica's side effects versus pain reduction. Long term I am undecided whether I'll remain on Lyrica permanently or not.

Be aware that higher doses may mean stronger or even different side-effects. Keep a pain and side-effect diary, and after a decent period of time (say a couple of months), you and your doctor will have some evidence to go on.

Finally, before changing the dose I would recommend a full set of blood tests, blood pressure and resting heart rate, and weight. That gives you and your doctor a baseline for checking against in a couple of months time.

Regards,
OtisDaMan.