Pain Management Community
methadone & pain relief

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

methadone & pain relief

i am on methadone maintenance for opiate addiction, if methadone is also an opiate blocker what prescription meds will give me relief from my pain? i mean, do i take higher doses of opiate to get relief from my pain or is there a certain pain med i need to take while on methadone to get relief from my pain? please HELP!!!!
Methadone itself is a very strong opiod medicine. I thinksimply beingon the correct dose ofthis medicine will control most pain. The problem lies with being on it for addiction AND pain control. Methadone maintenance for addiction is used with the intentions of eventually, and gradually weaning you off of it someday. Methadone for pain control is used without the need to "taper off" of it someday. I don't think it's an opiate blocker at all, as I take it when my body gets used to used taking either oxycontin, morphine, or fentanyl (my tolerance to the drug increases).
Methadone is a narcotic..it is not a blocker at all...and unfortunately some OD because of this...u can use after taking methadone and feel the effects...hence accidently overdosing.  Methadone is not a huge sought after high...as with sub...for a heavy narcotic user, it makes them feel normal more than high..and for most it causes sleepiness when abused vs nrg...if it were a fantastic high, there would be lines in front of the clinics!

Sub on the other hand is a partial blocker...but also a narcotic//stronger mg for mg than methadone...it has a ceiling effect tho///meaning once ur receptors are saturated with sub it can do no more...so a heavy user may have to go on methadone to get relief from wd...sub is addicting...and a hydro user will most often get high from sub cos it is so much stronger than hydro...for a heavy heroin user..sub may not be enuf to block wds due to its ceiling effect

methadone is a pain reliever///much more so than sub//in itself....few drs will give u another narcotic if u r on methadone..some will for break thru pain in small doses...methadone is not a drug to be fooled around with...

working a program is what makes peeps clean...or helps them on their road to recovery...no drug can do this for u
and methadone is a full agonist....it has NO blocking effects
Worried and Seano have provide you some good information. I agree with them.

Methadone often is prescribed for pain, chronic pain. So if that is an issue for you discuss an increase with your physician to control the pain and you may kill two birds with one stone....pardon the expression.

Good luck to you. It is so difficult for ppl with chronic pain that become addicts. My heart goes out to you.

Peace,
Tuck
You can continue with the methadone for your pain. I was prescribed the methadone for chronic pain. I couldn't handle it and asked to be switched to something else but it really controlled my pain, much better than most medications I've been on.  
The best of luck to you.  
Try to build up your body while doing this.  B complex is very good, and a good multivitamin would be great.  Take care!
you really shouldnt need anything else for pain if youre taking Methadone
Hhttp://www.methadone.org/downloads/namadocuments/es11methadone_safety.pdfere is a great website and document on Methadone....

http://www.methadone.org/downloads/namadocuments/es11methadone_safety.pdf

this is a great paper about Methadone for CP Patients....
http://www.methadone.org/library/reisinger_1995_normal_medicine.html
This is really a great thread about methadone.  I also really appreciated the post about methadone v. suboxone.  This is a good one to referr people to when asking about methadone and the difference between the two meds.
I am now on methadone for chronic lumbar pain. I was on 30mg of controlled release morphine 3X a day.

The methadone didn't do too much to thwart off the morphine withdrawal. I still had 10 days of cold sweats, nauseous (gag control on high alert!) restlessness, cramps etc.  The VA is so freaked out when it comes to prescribing methadone. They only had me take 7.5mg of methadone for the first five days when I have seen dosing guidelines for opioid familiar patients coming off heavy opioid's say that 20-30mg (max 40 in a day) is recommended for the first few days of transition. But then you have to taper off drastically due to the half life is soooo long with meth and it can build up and lower your respiratory system so low it can kill you. normal maintenance doses are 7.5mg 2X a day.

I get no euphoria but it sure works well on my pain. The morphine wasn't doing anything after 3 years of taking it...

Good luck and really be careful with the methadone. You should have a BP cuff machine and monitor your BP and pulse. If your not a fit athlete and your pulse goes below 50...see a DR!