moderate to moderately severe pain management
I've posted a few other questions but I'm trying a different track here.  I'm trying to learn a bit before I talk with my doctor so I'm not playing catch-up or having to make additional appointments to discuss decisions regarding pain meds (like how tramadol ***** and I want something else).

Anyway, I've got moderate to moderately severe pain in my feet and the docs I've been to still aren't sure what it is so I've got to do some pain management.  My experience with meds: I've used Vicodin in the past for something else for about a month and stopped cold with no side effects.  I've used Lyrica for a year for my feet with crazy side effects and never got over the tired and cloudy feelings.  I've used tramadol for a few months and it's a monster trying to grab me and control me.

So, before I go to the doc - again - what kinds of meds for moderate to moderately severe pain should I be discussing with him or ruling out to try to avoid the monsters.  I know this can be a broad question so hopefully my experience above will give some helpful insight as to what direction I should go.  I'd appreciate any and all recommendations or comments.

thanks in advance...
Stay away from oxycontin, I've been in pain management for years and never needed a dose increase or had any problems until two months ago when my doctor put me on oxycontin. I started having cravings, started having wd when I'd miss a dose by just a few hours, I would wake up in the middle of the night with my skin crawling. I'm now using oxycodone to taper off and stop the wd but it's been extremely hard. It's prescription heroin so all I can say is stay away from it. If you start narcotics you will build a tolerance, you will need meds to just feel normal even if you always take it as prescribed, when you have other pain it will be magnified and it's horrible to try to manage your pain for something like a broken leg once you've built a tolerance. Every single narcotic is addictive so before you go down that road I would really think about it and if you have truly tried all other non narcotic options.
I've tried everything I can find that's non narcotic and nothing really helps.  Thanks for the input on oxycotin, I'll lean a different direction than that.