Pain Management Community
morphine er vs opana er

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

morphine er vs opana er

I have been on morphine er 60mgs twice a day for my chronic pain among other issues. Yesterday I found out I had extensive nerve damage in my lower back. And my doctor changed my meds from the morphine to Opana Er 20 mgs twice a day. what is the difference? does anyone know? I tried to google and got nothing. I was just wondering if this is just a different brand name for morphine but stronger? thanks in advance for your help. Best wishes to all

The difference is Opana is 2 different compounds essentially. OxyMorphone if I remember correctly, so it should work differently than just Morphine alone.
Hi Scaredmom,

I beleive that Opana is a brand name, it is very similar to Dilaudid. They are both opiates with the primary pain relieving substance being Hydromorphone. It is stronger than Morphine. Of course ER means extended relief.

I suggest you ask your pharmacist that can better explain the action of the drug as well as the difference between the two. It is my opinion that you should obtain better pain control on the Opana as compared to the MS.

I hope that helps and again don't forget to us the most valuable resource you have for information on medications, your pharmacist.
Peace, Tuck
Hi Scaredmom,
I take OpanaER 15mg twice a day.  I can't tell you how it holds up to Morphine, because I'm allergic to Morphine, but I do get fairly good pain control.  I've heard that It's stronger than Morphine but I have also heard some people argue that it is not. The only thing that I would wonder is if you have anything for breakthrough pain.  I find that I do need breakthrough pain meds. Oh and the drug is oxymorphone hcl.  Hope that helps and good luck to you.
Lainey
I was switched to Opana a few weeks ago from Morphine. It is oxymorphone and is stronger when compared mg for mg to Morphine. It is supposed to be 3x stronger. So if you took 60mg of Morphine, then 20mg of Opana should be about the same strength. I, however, went back to Kadian. I did not like the way Opana made me feel. It made me really nauseous. I only took it for about 5 days, so I can't really tell you if it is any better or worse compared to Morphine. It seemed to be about the same for me in that short time.
A correction...ER stands for Extended RELEASE.  This is important for several reasons.  One of which is the medicines are released into your blood stream over an extended period of time.  One needs to be cautious in following scripted orders without deviation.  There is significant potential of fatal overdose.
I was taking 6-10/325 Percs a day when my doctor switched me to 2-20mg Opana ER & 2-10mg IR daily. I have RSD/CRPS in my foot/ankle.

This helped a bit but I was still suffering pain at a level that I felt was too high. My doctor switched me to 2-30mg ER Opana with the same 2-10 mg IR for breakthrough and the difference in pain control is astonishing. Some days I don't even have to take both break out meds.Of course, everyone responds differently to these opiates.

I 've not tried the morphine in pill form, so I can't give you a comparison. I would try different meds suggested by your doctor until you find something that works for you. If I'd listened to the majority of people on these med boards concerning Opana, I wouldn't have given it a chance. There's no euphoric side effects, which may have something to do with many not liking it, it just melts my pain away. Like I said above, different people respond differently to opiates.
Good luck with the Opana or whatever you find that works for you.

Thank you for correcting my mis-type. I meant to say extended release instead of extended relief.....and you are correct. It is important as they stay in our systems for an extended period of time as compared to an IR (immediate release) medication.

Thanks for catching my typo.

~Tuck
I'm on 300 mcg of fentanyl for pancreatits. it doesn't completely take carw of the pain but worse off - it causes urinary retention. what dose, if any of the ER would help? my dr's suggested it, but now i'm fighting w/the ins. company. Any ideas?
hydromorphone (dilaudid) and oxymorphone (opana) different drugs
Hi, Iknow it has been a few years since your post, i was wondering how you are doing on the Opana ER. I am switching from Opana 30 mg ER to Morphine 60 mg ER.The Opana gave me side effects, dizziness, being in withdrawl (withdrawal) if I missed a dose, and it did not help my chronic pain.. I have tried many ER drugs and I am having a hard time finding many of them. Plus my breakthrough meds are also hard to find. I am hoping the Morphine ER will lessen my side effects and cost, I was only on Opana for 2 months but it did not do the job for me. I know everyone has different reactions to meds. Please let me know how you are doning . Thanks ;)
I sent you a message. Please check your inbox.
     shinty