Pain Management Community
mri results of knees

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

mri results of knees

Hi I got my MRI results and I do not understand them of my knees can u tell me in plain english what it means?

left knee
mild chondromalacia patellae
small joint effusion
small popliteal cyst

right knee
myxoid signal in psterior horn of medial meniscus no medial meniscal tear
mild to moderate chondromalacia patella
small joint effusion and baker cyst
healed non ossifying fribroma within distal fermoral metadiaphysis

thanks
jeannine
Hello Littleredhead,

Welcome to our Pain Management Forum. You must have significant pain in your knees....and I am sorry to hear that.

I am not an expert. This is just my personal understanding of your MRI results. Chondromalacia patella is abnormal softening of the cartilage that lies beneath your  kneecap  or it's medical term, patella. It's a common cause of knee pain. Often it is caused by poor alignment of the patella. PT can often help this condition.

Joint effusion is a general medical term which simply put means an abnormal build up of fluid. This often occurs with inflammation, injury and/or arthritic conditions.  

A popliteal cyst is simply a sac filled with normal joint fluid. This should signal your physician that there is something wrong with your knee. Most likely the joint effusion has caused this cyst. It's more commonly called a Baker's Cyst. Cyst's are usually not dangerous or malignant. I have a SI Joint Cyst, actually two that form due to the inflammation in my SI Joints. A surgeon told me they do not remove these unless the SIJ problem is remedied as they only return in chronic cases. This may also be true in your situation.

The posterior horn of the medial meniscus is a location or part of your meniscus, which is a cartilage in your knee. The word Myxoid can be used in different ways. The word itself means, containing mucus. It is not clear to me exactly what the radiologist means when he writes, "Myxoid signal." It could have several meanings...and I am not comfortable guessing.

Non-ossifying fibroma is a benign fibro-osseous lesion. Non-ossifying fibroma is the most common benign lesion of the skeletal system. The term distal femoral metadiaphysis is the location. (Distal mean end and femoral is femur.)  The metaphysis is the wider part at the end of the shaft of our long bones.

When you put this all together in layman's terms is gives reason for pain in your knees. Remember I am not an expert and this is just my personal opinion. What this will mean to your physician and how it will treated, only he/she can answer.  

I wish you the very best and hope that I have been of some assistance. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to hearing from you again.

Peace,
~Tuck