Pain Management Community
muscle cramps and pain under rib cage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

muscle cramps and pain under rib cage

Well,  for a while I have had a problem when I bend down or twist the wrong way.
It feels like my insides get crunched up under ribs.  The muscles or whatever they are tighten up.  It is excruciating.  I have to move my arms, bend back or lay down and it eventually loosens up.  I can actually see the movement when things go back in place.  
I started taking a diuretic yesterday. The problem has become worse.  It has happened at least 5 times today.
Normally it only happened once every couple weeks.
Any ideas.  what should I do or who should I see?
Hi But4Hisgrace,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. ..... But sorry to hear about your increasing pain. We know how pain can disrupt your life, especially when it is undiagnosed and you're left to think the worse.

Have you had any imagining done? A CT, Ultrasound? Could this be a hernia? Your symptoms sound similar to a hernia (abdominal area) that is retractable. My next question would be a hiatal hernia or a Gastrointestinal issue.

Have you consulted a Gastroenterologist? ..... Or a Thoracic Surgeon?  If not I would consider it. If you have a good doctor/patient relationship with your PCP have a long chat with him/her. Ask your PCP where you should go for answers if he is unable to provide you with an acceptable one.

I wish you the best and hope that you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I'll look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck
When you say you see the movement when things go back in place where does this occur?  Also why are you taking a diuretic? The reason I am concerened about the diuretic is because it can actually cause you to have muscle cramps if your potassium is too low? Do you take a potassium supplement along with the diuretic if it is not potassium sparing? Muscle spasms are the first symptoms you get when your potassium begins to be to low. I take diuretics on a constant basis and battle with that myself and have to regulate the amount of potassium I take based on the symptoms, or the lack of symptomsI may have, until I have my bi-weekly potassium blood tests. When your potassium gets too low the muscle spasms go away and you become so weak you can't even lift your arm up to brush your hair.
The way you describe it almost sounds like you have a hernia. When you bend over you could be getting some kind of entrapment going on. Your intestines or fatty tissues could be getting "hung up" so to speak that could have been created due to a hernia. A hernia happens when a hole forms between the muscles and fibrous tissues that support the organs and intestines. When this happens the intestines can get stuck and the blood supply can be cut off and this is a medical emergency. You need to see your doctor as soon as possible. It is a life threatening emergency if that is what is happening. If Your bowel if getting caught up in a hernia and the blood supply is cut off that would be a huge disaster. It really sounds like that is what is going on. I had the same thing happen to me. I would bend over and have to straighten back up and pull my arms up to get it out. I went to a general surgeon and had it fixed within a week. The recovery was so easy. Nothing compared to anything I have been through before.