Pain Management Community
muscle relaxant topical

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

muscle relaxant topical

Is there a muscle relaxant patch (I'm thinking like a flexeril patch, etc.)  If not, is there a muscle relaxant cream.
Hello FiftySomething,

Hello and welcome to the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. I am glad you found us.

I am not familiar with a patch or cream that contains a muscle relaxer. So I have done a search for a Muscle Relaxant Patch or Cream and turned up nothing. Usually I can find it on line if it exists.

This is not to say there isn't one. So many medications are coming out in the transdermal application that it would not surprise me if there is now a muscle relaxant the is delivered through the skin. There is a Novocaine (numbing) type of patch and an ant-inflammatory one that have become more widely used. I would ask your pharmasicts as he/she should have the most current information on medications that have new delivery systems. Are you unable to take an oral muscle relaxant?

Good luck to you. Please let us know if you find what you are looking for as we all learn from one another. Take Care, Tuck
   I'm prescribed a lidoderm 5% patch, which is basically a patch infused with lidocaine. It helps with the nerve/muscle type pain I have in the lower left leg facing outward. By itself, for bad pain it wouldn't be worth the money, but I'm prescribed Lortab 10/650's ( a narcotic ) and the two used together seem to help lower this pain better than either one treatment alone. The sad part is these lidocaine patches are costly; I'm not sure of the cost without my insurance copay, but a box of 30 cost me exactly 30.00, or a dollar each. I was stung many times this past fall when I accidently ran the weedeater over a hole going into a nest of yellow jackets and got about 12 stings ( man did they hurt ) on my legs, stomach, arms, nose and forehead before I could run away and beat them off me. I cut up one or more of these lidocaine patches and put over the stings and used one of my percocet 10's I had from a prior prescription and the two combined did help the pain, but from my long term use of these lidoderm patches, I feel they aren't worth the cost if that is the only thing for pain you are prescribed, for by themselves, they don't seem to help anything but surface pain. I have heard they help sunburn pain, but I haven't had that problem to try them for that purpose. I have not heard of a transdermal patch that contains any muscle relaxant either. I hope your pain gets better and prayers are being said for you
                                                                  Inspectorgadget1956/Mark
I have a bunch of these patches and they have not done anything for my pain. I think if i remember right all that's in them is Aspirin. F1swede
Hi, I use a perscription cream that has 5 different ingredients in it. Ibuprofin and ketoprofin which are anti-inflammatories, ketamine which is a kind of anesthsia and analgesic, amitriptyline, a tricyclic anti-depressant and carbamazepine which treat trigimenal neuralgia. I rub it on my trigger points and this stuff is a life saver. Many times it works when my pain meds do not, or more specifically on areas my pain meds don't touch.  Most docs have never heard of it.  My first Rheumy gave it to me and then when we moved I took the container in to my new doc and now he just writes the script from off the container.  I get it compounded from a compounding pharmacy.  The only negative is this stuff is sticky so you know you have it on. It's also expensive, not all insurance carries it so you want your compound pharmacist to know how to get it approved.

Melissa
What is it called? What company makes it? Thanks!!
Atomic, any compounding pharmacy can make this kind of cream, but if you want a specific, try the Apothecary Shop in Pensacola. They've been compounding special creams for me, and mail it. You will need a prescription, but they can help suggest what should be in the formula.