Pain Management Community
musclular pain/emu oil and other creams

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

musclular pain/emu oil and other creams

I suffer from a lot of muscle tightness and pain (from the muscles being tight, back ache, and sometimes nerve pain). I have thyroid problems which I believe is contributing/causing this, since my symptoms have improved (though didn't go away) when my thyroid levels became more stable. I have various stretches I do which can help temporarily, but I really need to relax rather than stretch my muscles. I do have hot baths, and also find swimming helps, but my muscles just seize up again afterwards (sometimes worse than before). Oh, and before you ask, I wouldn't say I'm a stressed person!

I've tried various ointments which claim to help - one which has helped quite a bit when I've used it is called Blue Ease Cream and contains emu oil, MSM, aloe vera, capsicum, arnica extract (the list goes on). However last time I used it I ended up with a burning sensation everywhere I'd used it (including my hands) for over 12 hours. It says not to use if 'skin sensitivity' occurs so I should probably not continue with it. Anyone know which of the above list might be helping and which might be causing the burning, so I can find something else which might help?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for alternative therapies? I've tried physiotherapy, chiropractors, massage and seeing a herbalist so far. Thanks!
The capsicum is mot likely the ingredient causing the burning sensation. It is essentially  cayenne pepper. I see you have tried many natural approaches and they have not really helped you. Maybe it is time to try the pharmaceutical approach.
I know alot of people who suffer from chronic pain do not like the idea of being on medication for pain but sometimes when all else fails it is the only solution left to try.
Have you discussed this with your doctor at all?
I would recommend talking to your doctor to see what options he/she can offer you.
Having those who understand to talk to helps too. We are always here for you:)
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your chronic pain and muscle stiffness.

I see you are in the UK so medications may be different that what we have in the USA. Do you have D.O's?

I see a DO, Doctor of Osteopathy. These physicians are educated and trained much like a medical physician and they see and treat patients much in the same manner. There focus is a bit different. They also are trained to do Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy, (OMT). After seeing MD's for years I stumbled upon a DO. She is excellent and has been a life savor. She is very skilled at performing OMT. It's similar to Chiropractic Adjustments but less painful and more skilled. After all they are physicians.  

If it were not for her manipulations and myofascial release treatments my pain would be much greater and it's questionable if my walking ability would be a good as it is today. So if you have access to a D.O. I highly recommend them.

Please let us know how you are doing. We'll be waiting for your updates and hope that you will become an active participant in our community.

Take Care,
~Tuck~
I have this same problem with the muscles tightening up (spasms)...my Dr called it Dystonia. He explained that my brain sends messages to different muscles and 'tells' them to tighten. I can be in a completely relaxed state and BAM...spasms! It hurts so bad (lm a tad bit wimpy when it comes to pain).anyways, besides heat, massages, and excercises, he has prescribed pain managing medicines and Im finally at a point where I can live my life without suffering from this pain!
Creams havent really helped much because Ive always felt that the pain was more deeper than where the cream could reach (surface relief only) but most muscle creams contain a menthol-type ingredient that causes a cool/burn sensation. I actually like that feeling but to prevent it from feeling that way on your hands, you have to wash them really good immediatly after applying it. Nothing to worry about in my opinion but I understand your complaint!
Let me know if you have any questions about the medicines that have worked for me or other comments my Dr has made about this condition!
Hope this has been helpful!
My mom has the same problem with muscle tightening. I'm wondering if she should try this cream. I've heard that supplements with emu oil in it are very helpful.