Pain Management Community
my wife and pain management

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

my wife and pain management

It's a long story but I'll condense it.  My wife had lat flap surgery 3+ years ago for breast reconstruction after breast cancer.  She has been in intense pain ever since.  She's been on vicodin, perc, oxy and now morphine..she was recently (3 months ago referred to a pain clinic who put her on 3 (10's) percs a day.  ON her last visit they did a uriine test which was no problem for her as she had nothing to hide.  He also then moved her up to morphine 2x day which she doesn't like and wants off..talked to the doctor last week about it.  He said "we'll talk about it next appt)...Today she gets a certified letter from the pain mgmt doctor saying he was dropping her..her test came back with no indication of perocet usage and they found traces of dilaudid, which she has taken 1 time in her life, 2 years ago for a migrain (and hated it).  She is now trying to convince this guy of her integrity and point out there must be an error..Of course, no return phone calls and the people she's talked to do not want to believe her.  She is in intesnse pain..she's seen 3 separate plastic surgeons each of which said they couldn't help her..Yesterday we saw one who gave her some hope..he's done over 500 and found that 1% of his patients wind up in her situation, but he believes he can perform a procedure that MAY fix it, either improve it, relieving the pain or making no change.he can't guarantee..but she's gonna try it..

Anyway...and advise on how to deal with this dilaudid thing and the pain clinic..so far after 6 hours, no return calls..she has taken nothing but percocet (and the morphine) with the exception of a shot of demorol for a migrain 3 weeks ago which he new about, and vicodin prescribed by her dentist..which angered the pain guy but they cleared the air on that.

would appreciate any advise/suggestions

Jim
I think your wife may have lied to you.  My question to you is do you have experience with opiate dependency?  If you haven't then you would believe her straight out.  I don't know your wife but I know the length some of us go to to make both the pain and withdrawals go away.
I don't have a lot of experience with urine tests comming back false,but it did happen to me once.I was going to a methadone clinic and we had to get a UA once a month.My second month there my test came back not showing any drug at all in it,not even the methadone.At this time I wasn't getting any take homes yet.I was going to the clinic everyday and drinking my dose at the window in front of the nurse so I do know it is possible for a UA to come back false.There are others here who know a lot more about it and will be able to give you some advice.Hang in there.............Peace......Kim
she could have a test done independently. that would give her something in her hand that is current. she then could approach the primary physician with the entire case. hopefully a kind hearted referral could get her back in the loop. i am sorry she is suffering so after what she has been through.
1234betterlife, that is wonderful advice, i never would of thought of it! Knowing me i would just cry and chalk it up as another of life's injustices
Wow...I have been seeing alot of this on this forum......One thing it could be (happened to my mom).Someone who lives at your house could be stealing your pills and replacing them with something else..

Also when your on pills for a long time you will do crazy things to get fix and even lie to yourself about it....
I think the independent test is the answer at this point...I go to a pain clinic and they are crazy...they immediately think you are selling your meds..they can make a mistake and mix up the urine test very easily...go for the independent test...and then see what happens...in the mean time go to the ER, they might be able to help you.

Karen
greyworld..my wife has not lied to me. That much I do know...regarding stealing pills..possible..my 19 year old daughter has been a suspect for a while, but we kicked her out nearly 3 weeks ago (she lives with her sister)

1234..she is seeing her primary (earliest appt on Monday) and will take an independent test..though all traces of perc will be gone by then and only the morphine...

I read something earlier that some opiates (percocet included) can breakdown over time and manifect themselves as another opiate (morphine, dilauded)..though I didn't read the entire article and what I did read was rather quickly.

Jim
And yes, Greyworld, I have a great deal of experience, unfortunately, with opiate depdendency, but I'll defend my wife to the death on this one, to the point of contacting a neighbor who is an attorney specializing in polygraph tests.  My own depdency/addiction is considerably different than my wive's..when I ran out, I'd find a way to steal some..she girds herself up and fights the withdrawal.

jim
i would call the labs myself. talk to the director of that division. they know the test THEY use better than anyone including the manifestation of opiate sensitivity.
drug testing is very subject to error by test and the human factor.
i would want proof positive in my hand.
Call me naive,     but i like to give people the benefit of  doubt, is there any possible way they could have mixed up her test?
well, that's what we think...the mixed up her test..we called the lab we THOUGHT did the test..unfortunately, that wasn't it..it was done in Nebraska (we're in New Hampshire..and we have told the doctor we want proof in our hand..of course, he hasn't called back, nor answered emails.  We spent hours on the phone this morning with labs and pharmacists trying to figure out what could have happened.  One lab said yes indeed the test could have been screwed up

(thank you, Lisa, and 1234).

Jim
I do not know about the testing but I did want to lend my support and say I'm so sorry your wife has too go through this on top of everything else she has endured.. The injustice of having to prove that you are taking pain med after enduring cancer residual pain and all the mental that goes along with it really angers me.. I hope you get this straightened out right away.. You are a wonderful supportive husband I wish her well on her future surgery and that it is the answer to this debilitating pain and that she can close this chapter of her life and move on...  lesa
One thing is for certain - If I were in your shoes I would be looking for a new PCP that you guys can trust --- this one chooses to not believe you and that spells trouble down the road - --  I would certainly find a doctor who would listen to your story and then treat your wife ------  A good pain management doctor is worth his weight in gold - --- We had a very similar experience and it was eventually resolved when the doctor took a personal interest in my wife and began to treat the pain -----  There comes a point when you can't cry over the spilled milk - only find someone who will listen to your story and offer to help - -- that person (doctor) is out there - it is just up to you to find him/her ---- get busy -   I wish you and your wife the very best - -- I know what it is like to not be believed - but the next step is up to you.  
You are so right, i have heard about the drug breaking down and it showing up as something else.  Back in my methadone clinic days, sometimes codeine would show up as heroin, i mean this gets so complicated, they are all opiates, i guess they do specific tests for specific drugs?  It is just so unfair! Damn doctor could have at least agreed to retest her, and i mean have her come in and test  her urine again, because when i was  in the methadone clinic my test came back with heroin, and my hand to God, i had not used, i had however taken codeine (tooth issue) but had a prescription , anyway, a paid 25.00 dollars to have my  urine retested, but guess what they used the same urine they had used the first time so yeah, it came back dirty again, all i could was cry and noone believed me, that made even worst. Got my weekend  takehome dose taken away and everything, 9 months pregnant at the time and an hour drive  away, but i'll tell u what nothing hurt as bad as my own husband not believing, so yeah, stand by your wife!
Hello. I am sorry for what your wife is giong thru. There have been a few members who have had this problem with their tests coming out "clean". It is a really scarry thing when you are dependant on pain meds to make your life alittle easier. My suggestion would be to find a new pain mgnt. specialist. Either Google " Pain Mgnt. Specialist" and enter your area or get the phone book out. Also her PCP might be able to help. Don't be affraid to go to the ER for help when the pain gets too be to much to handle.

Tell her to hang in there, keep fighting for what you know is right. Don't let the current Pain Dr. get her down. There is always someone else to help you.

Good luck with everything,......Mollyrae
I am so sorry for what your wife is experiencing...so sorry. I read more and more about these false tests. I do not know what the answer is, wish I did. But after hearing about all these bad tests I have come to the conclusion that IF I ever am in a program where I am tested I will have a second test done on the day that the pain mgt clinic makes me take a urine test. I haven't yet decided where or how I will have the second test done but I will do it. This is my advice to all of you that are required to be drug tested. I know that doesn't help you (bear) now.

I agree that you should talk to your PCP and do it now. OR a physician that you know and trust. Trust is the key word. My PCP perscribes my pain medication. We have built a high level of trust and I believe that if I had a drug test and I "failed" it in any way she would beleive ME. She would question the lab and than have me retest ASAP.

There are other PMP out there though I am sure this will follow you where ever you go. That's why it is so important to try and get this cleared up ASAP. Be assertive and get this cleared up or it will haunt you.

I hope the new doc will be able to help your wife with her pain. At least it sounds as though there is some hope.

I wish you and your wife the very best. We are here when ever you need to chat or ask a question. I wish I had a better answer for you. But others will post with more information and suggestions. Please keep us posted and take care. Tuck
Well, in cases like this they should have asked for a follow up test to see whether or not there was an error.  If one test was absolute then there is a problem with the method of testing.  Th fact that they wrote her off so quickly says to me they did run a second test or that should be seeing a new doctor right no anyhow.
I have heard this fairly often on this forum. And they do refuse to see these patients again based on the results of ONE test. Best Regards, Tuck
Yes, refusing to do a second test seems to be the norm.  I can say without a doubt that she has not been using dilaudid or anything else unless prescribed.  Even if she were to buy "off the street" a) she wouldn't know where to go b) she has 1 fake eye and sees 20/70 out of the other and driving is not an easy task for her particularly with all the rain we've had in New Enland, C) whould wouldn't be caught dead in the areas around here
where street drugs are sold.

We have an appt with her PCP, she's emailed and called the pain doctor..no response..I don't care if he never prescribes her another pill...I want her integrity cleared up as the later we got today will follow her to whomever she sees next.

Thanks to all for the kind words and suggestions...I will keep you posted.

God Bless all

Jim
Pain management Dr's WILL NOT preform a second urine test and will not even entertain the notion to do so. There has been a lot of controversy with this issue as so many Pt's are having this kind of problem and it is from the office staff or the lab making mistakes most of the time. There are also drugs over the counter and prescription drugs that will interfere with a test being 100% correct. With these things in mind one should not simply jump to the conclusion that a pt is abusing their meds or not taking them at all. We are all here for support and compassion and automatically jumping to conclusions that will hurt someone is not really productive. I have done research on this before as we have had several members here with this very problem and it is a very real situation that some face. I will post some facts on this issue later today.
Hi, I am so sorry you and your wife are going through this nightmare. I would suggest that you ask your PCP to give you a script for blood work and it will show the correct drugs that are in her system. Call the office and ask for the nurse and explain the situation and that time is critical here. This will prove without a doubt her meds are in her system. Also there is a hair test that will show all the drugs she has taken in the last 90 days, if you would like the info on how to get this test let me know. It is 75.00 and you get the results online or by phone. It is very reliable also. There are so many things that could have caused her test to be a false negative but there are ways to prove she was taking her meds. I would do this and then find a new PM. I wish you two all the luck and hope things work out. If you have any other questions or need anything at all please let me know. I have done research on this and it is a very real situation that many face and it is sad.
Thank you, Sandee and others for your advice...we greatly appreciate it.  I wrote an email to the doctor in my wife's defense last nigh and she wrote him earlier yesterday as well as several phone calls.  No responses of course.  Golf day.

My wife is about to give up on this, but I'm not about to let it die.  She's been through enough in her life, ex husband abusing her daughters, losing an eye and vision problems in the other, an apparently "botched" reconstruction surgery that has left her in pain and depression for 3 years...I'm not letting her just give up on this one..this is her integrity at stake and relationships with future doctors.

Thank you all again

Jim
Your wife is very lucky to have such a loving and strong advocate in you. You aer a blessing.  I think you are absolutely right to not let this die. And correct also that this is her integrity and will effect any future relationships with physicians. I can hear your concern and love in your writings. She may be so exhausted with just fighting the pain that she is unable to fight this unjust allegation. You are so right in fighting this fight for her now and be her strength.

If I understand you correctly your wife is currently experiencing "intense pain." I hope she still has pain medication but if she does not do not forget about ER. They usually will prescribe a small amount of pain medication plus give her something while she is there. Bless you and hang in there. Tuck
I have a question related to painh management doctors...I was under the impression they did things like nerve blocks for pain?  I had thoracotomy for carcinoid cancer 3 months ago & my surgeon does not want to give me any more pain meds - he wants me to go to a pain doctor instead ... I only take Norco on occasion when I can't sleep after a workout, otherwise I use Advil mostly.
Any one w/ more pain doc info?  Thanks
My wife saw a surgeon earler this week (a plastic surgeon specilaizing in breast reconstruction) who has discussed nerve block to her pain, and then should that work cutting the nerve.  It is a motor nerve as opposed to a sensory nerve..talk  to your doctor about this nerve block therapy, though the motor never vs sensory nerve could have a bearing on his/her desire to perform this procedure.

Jim
Interestingly, my wife saw here pcp yesterday and discussed the situation with her pain doctor.  Her PCP was furious and promised to call the guy.  We haven't heard yet.  Situation is my wife is down to 3 pills and the weekend is approaching.  She's awaiting word from her PCP as to whether or not he will precribe her anything.

Phone calls/emails to the pain mgmgt guy have gone unanswered, though I believe I saw him today when I went to physical therapy (he has office hours there on Tuesday)..I thought of confronting him, but didn't).

On top of that the doctor found a lump in my wife's breast (where she'd previously had cancer....it never seems to end for her.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts and words.

Jim
This may not be what you want to hear but the pain doctor had a right to worry.  I am actually surprised no one here has mentioned it yet. This is why.  Your wife had an arsenal of strong narcotics at home already but still got more from the dentist and from someone else for the Demerol for a migraine.  Any good doctor would be very concerned about this.  As a pain patient that is that well supplied with narcotic medication she should not have a need to get additional narcotics from dentist etc. for other issues.  If a person is already on all that they would not need vicodin for example for their teeth they are already on stronger meds like the morphine to start with.

Does your wife tell people like the dentist etc. about all the pain meds she is currently on?  A dentist would have to be out of their mind to give vicodin out to a patient already on morphine and Percocet that could potentially be very dangerous or even life threatening to a patient.

I am sure your wife is in pain and needs her medication but she is going to have to be really careful about getting medication from different doctors and dentists for pain or she will end up in the unfortunate situation where no one will write her prescriptions anymore.  I really don’t mean to sound harsh but I have seen so many people here lose their medications and doctors.  The other thing I personally would do is get a test myself at the drugstore and test myself to see what comes up just for the peace of mind.  Good luck

well, I typed but lost a nice long reply...I don't have time to redo it.  You are correct in
your statements, but, there is an explanation and all had been discussed with the pain doctor and he understood, but retiterated the pain contract and that any prescriptions must come from him..injections (demorol for migraine do not)..

It's all moot now anyway.  He's refused to talk to her, told the PCP to prescribe her 6 vicodin to help with "weening" and Clonidine for withdrawl (withdrawal) and that's that.  No answers to her questions "will this follow me in my record", why no review of the original test, etc. and now the wait for another pain clinic is at least a month.  She has withdrawal to look forward to by the weekend if not before.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim
Jim,
I am so sorry for what you and your wife is going through. I am not here to judge you or your wife and I believe you acted in good faith. I know that many physicians that prescribe morphine also order percocet or vicodin for break through pain so it is doubtful the few pain meds the dentist gave your wife would have caused her any great harm. But all of us have to be careful about getting multiple prescriptions from multiple physicians.
As you said this is a moot point now.

Are you certain your PCP will not offer you more medication until you area able to get into another pain clinic? I would plead my case again and again. Also remember there is ER is your wife's pain becomes unbearable.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest. It is terrible to endure untreated pain let alone add with drawls. Please keep in touch. And take care of you too. Tuck
The PM Dr HAS to by law treat your wife until she can get another Dr. If he refused to speak with you then threaten him with a patient abandonment suit, He has to treat her for thirty days! Most Dr's want to avoid suits at all cost so maybe if you suggest your talking to your lawyer about his actions and pt abandomnent your wife will get some help!
Thank you Tuckamore...the PCP has refused to offer any more meds.  She's emailed him and requested a call and nothing.  She is pleading her case again and again..if necessary we will go to the ER.  Yes, I understand multiple prescriptions by multiple physicians as does she  (especially now) but that matter appeared to be setlled.

Sandee..I'm in NH..do you know (I can research) if that law applies to New Hampshire..I will suggest calling him and threatening a lawyer..we have one across the street who is out of town but he called us 2 days ago and will talk to us when he returns..I am really worried about her going into withdrawl (withdrawal) and most worried about her chronic pain..which is definitely the case.

Thanks again all

Jim
Sandee...I guess the fact she has her PCP constitues another doctor, but he does not seem to want to do anything to help.  I'm still trying to find more info on patient abandonment.

Beargizmo , Hi I will look into the laws in your state for you and get back to you as soon as I can:)

,
You're a blessing, Sandee1818..

Her PCP told her this morning it would be best if she saw individual specialists in the areas where her pain is occuring, which is where we started nearly 3 years ago.  We played ring around the rosie and pin the tail on the donkey there, and wound up back
with the PCP because they (specialists) couldn't figure it out.  So, he prescribed her meds (oxycontin)..after several months she asked to be tapered off as she was feeling
somewhat better and did not like the addictive nature, etc.  he told her that she until her pain situation was improved, she should continue on meds, and increased her dosage!!  What??  Then, about 2 months later..said "sorry, we can't give you these anymore you're gonna be on your own."  I don't recall the ensuing adventures, but eventually they (PCP) wound up sending her to the pain clinic, and you know the rest of the story.

In an earlier discussion with the PCP (last week?  I was out of town) she discussed the meds with him and her concern about being on them the rest of her life..he said "you're 51 now..do you want to be sitting here at 60 still in pain?"  

And now she's been booted to the curb.  6 vicodins for taper off of morpine and clonodine and no help for whatever pain she may suffer (as she is now in)...

And I can't help but believe that a lot of this is driven by paranoia on teh doctor's part being driven by the DEA's crackdown on prescription meds on the black market (believe me, I don't want to see them out there, understand.).  

Jim
took my wife to the ER this morning..she can hardly walk, is on her hands and knees going up the stairs, couldn't get out of the car into a wheel chair.  They sent her home with 10 vicodin 5's, 800mg ipbuprohin and flexoril.."be careful..these WILL make you drowsy"...she explained what she has been taking.."well, if you're not feeling better tonight, come on back at no charge.

Jim
Unfortunately the DEA has ALOT to do with the Dr's and how they prescribe. There are many advocacy groups and pain foundations fighting this but it is a slow moving battle. I have been doing some checking into the laws of your state in regard to the laws and according to a good friend who is an attorney you can sue for Pt abandonment ( or at least let the Dr know your aware of the laws and will if needed file suit). I really wish there were more I could do. I am not aware of anyone from NH here that could possibly refer you to a sympathetic PM , I will see if I can find out for you. I have in the past referred members here to PM's but I just basically search the net and I am sure you have done that already:)
I hate that your wife is in so much pain and can't get help! Have you made any appointments to pain clinics yet? I would search the net the phone book and even ask your pharmasist if he can help. The pharmacy where your wife was getting her presciptions knows of the PM's in your area and can help. I found my PM in Ala that way and he was great! There are alot of places to look for pain clinics and Dr's you just have to take the day and sit and call call call! I wish you both the best and I have not forgotton about you, I have been trying to find more info for you and will continue to do so. Give your wife our best and tell her we are thinking about her!
I support the DEA's efforts..we've got to get these things off the streets..heck, my 19 year old daughter told her mother she could get her some in 5 minutes..we have an acquaintance who keeps hundreds of percs in a jar (no, we haven't taken advantage.

There are other clinics and we're looking at them.  We have another problem in that my wife only has one eye and doesn't see well out of that one and driving to strange places is tough for her...the clinic she wants to see is about 20 mins away and she knows where it is.

WE have a lawyer across the street whom we called earlier in the week..he called us back..he's out of town until Monday but said "I will definitely call you back"...this may not be his field, but he will hook us up with someone.

The clinic she did contact is booking for October and since they have no referral for my wife or any of her records they won't give her an appt and before giving her an appt her case must be reviewed by a "board"..so we will be checking out others.

Thank you so much for your help and your thoughts...I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Jim
These clinics that say we have to "review" your case before we even see you upsets me!
You can not judge a person or make any kind of impression from a medical file and I think it is impersonal and just wrong:(
When a Pt sees the Dr for the first time you get some kind of impression as to what kind of Dr he/she is and how they will treat you medically and otherwise and for the Dr to say they have to "review" you before you even see them to me is just saying how impersonal and uncompassionate they are. I could be wrong but it is just not fair to the Pt.
Have you considered seeing a female PM. I know this is exist and discriminate but a woman Dr seems to be able to sympathize and understand woman better and what they feel and are going through. I have had both male and female PM's over the years and I will tell you I would pick the lady every time!
I had a brief experience with this particular clinic nearly a year ago. I developed a "problem" with vicodin and my Dr referred me there.  I was glad to go...I wanted off of those things so bad I could taste it.  They accepted me.  I had an appointment.  The morning of the appt there was some crisis in the house (dog not in a hurry to do it's thing outside, or cats acting up..can't remember)...I called them from my car, said I was going to be about 5-10 mins late..they said "don't bother..we're booked up and don't have time for this".  I found their people rude over the phone..I never went (and told my doctor about them)

Can't they see they are there to HELP PEOPLE???

I agree with a female PM and we'll look for one.

I did kick vicodin..for 9 months...hurt my own back  again last month (I have chronic issues) and convinced my doctor to prescribe me for 2 months while I was in PT which btw has worked wonders...I'm all done..will NEVER TOUCH THEM AGAIN..NEVER...on the other hand, I gained some valuable experience to help my wife with withdrawals...though hers seem to be less severe.

Jim
I read your post and can so relate.  tony has been on opiates for 40 yrs.  he has had 11 lateral back surg, 3 thorasic and 3 cervical.  2 swhoulder manipulations and 3 yes 3 knee replacements,  he is not an alien, just a gut whp had a bad one.  over the years we have beent to hjospitals , clinicsl pain managemeng specialist,   winchester hosital pain  
management at 333 washington st woburn may be able to helpl  we actually went tp an emergency room for his pain back in the dahy when they han index cards on repeaters!!!!  Tony was not listed but a nurse actuoally said she didn't believe in pain meds.  i mean this is not the dark ages.  but allot of pain management specialist have been targeted by the government as dealers.  our guy who used to help tony unbelievable with nerve blocks in the spine.  had toi leave the pain manag biz .  the hosp would't back him up any  mor.  it reallhy is a sin what is goingh on for people like tony and yur wirfe who really need meds.  to survive or in our case walk.  tony said to make sure everything is backed up with documents.  phone cals,,  letters, contact a tort lawyer, i dodn't think it is lawful to do that to patients.  not sure but tonys said he could sue as he has a contract with drs office and he does not break it and does everything they ask.  no reason not to.  

weoll keep well and peace to yu and your wife,  kee[ in touch

sandy  mass
Jim,

I am sorry I have been out of town due to my mom's open heart surgery and I am just back therefore I have missed your posts and have not been able to offer you any support. It looks like Sandy has been offering you great assistance and information.

I don't have anything to add other than hand in there. And keep trying to find a PM. I also agree with her about female physicians. I was in such horrid, horrid pain for years and when it became so bad I thought I would end it all I stumbled on a intuitive female DO that recognized my pain without me saying a word. Thanks to her I can get up in the morning and not wonder why I have to live. Those doc's due exist. I wouldn't have believed in 5 years ago. And I have not had to go to a pain clinic. I am hoping I never have to after all the horror stories I hear such as yours.

It is illegal to abandon patients like your wife. I hope you go after the clinic that has put you and your wife through this mayhem and unnecessary crippling pain. Maybe when we exercise our rights there will be more responsible doctors and clinics.

Stay strong friend and keep posting. We are here to support you and your wife. Take Care, Tuck

Thank you, Tuck...and the best to your mother at this time.

Jim
just a quick update for those still following...the PCP told her today all he will prescribe her is ultram..enough for 30 days at a time.  He will not prescribe anything else...in the meantime, she has started withdrawls and is not feeling too good..she's taking clonidine which she swears isn't helping (it save me, I know that)...they told her to take up to 4 .1s per day...I'll have to keep an eye on her.  She also has klonipin (klonopin) (1meg) and I suggested that might help her sleep..I don't know why the clondine hasn't knocked her on her keester.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I'm still following. Our times are off as I spend much of mine caring for my mother. Thanks for asking I think she is improving, very slowly.

Clonidine is also used to control blood pressure. So be cautious with it's use but I'm sure you know that.

She may have built a higher tolerance for medications than you have and that is why it has not knocked her on her "keester."

Have you had any success getting into another pain clinic sure hope you can find some relief for her. Severe CP is indescribable. No one should have to suffer with pain that is never controlled. Your a great husband. Keep hanging in there. Tuck
She has found a doctor who will see her on Thursday AM at 8.  she exlpained some of he background to her and she is interesssteed in seeint her

jim
WONDERFUL!!! I am so happy for her and you as well. You both have been on my mind. I too will be very interested in hearing his angle on all this, though I know it's really not my business.

Maybe now she will get the pain management she deserves and someone will listen to her. I hope you have found a doc like mine. I do not go to a PM Clinic. I think I have explained that earlier. But my DO is an excellent listener and constantly offers other suggestions and is very supportive. I sometimes think she really knows how I feel and that is the ultimate in a doctor patient relationship.

Hang in there Jim. I think there is a light at the end of that tunnel. Take Care, Tuck
I am so happy that she has hopefully( keeping my fingers crossed for her) found someone who will help!
Make sure you take all the documentation you have.
My thoughts and prayers are with her!!!!!
I am happy as well:):):):):)   Bear, thank's for keeping me up to date with the pm's.
Thank you all...got some bad news a short time ago..my 25 year old son had a seizure (whith to my knowledge he's never had) during a group therapy, hit the floor with his had and was taken to the er..the cat scan showed a lot of bleedng hin there and some swelling...and now the hospital (emory in Atlanta won't treat him..no insurance..if he were brought there to begin with they would..so Im waiting for further updates and may fly down there tomorrow..right now he's lucid and the're waiting results of another Cat scam

of course I'm a wrecl

Jim
I am so sorry to hear that about your son. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.
OMG. You have sure had enough of the Cr** lately. My prayers are with your family tonight. Please take care and let me know how your son comes out.  Mollyrae
The Doctor my wife saw today decided against helping her.."too complicated" so she's back where she was.  

My son had an MRI this morning and will have an EEG this afternoon...I'm waiting for my ex or other son to call me, though I'm getting tired of waiting.  (they're in Atlanta, I'm in New Hampshire)...I may fly down there tomorrow..the doc said "he has a brain injury that
"should heal" but I'm not sure that's the whole story.

Jim
I am sorry for the horrible things that are happening:(
Have you made arrangements to see another PM, do not give up keep looking and you will find one. I know it is depressing and hard to keep getting turned down but you must forge ahead anyway so you can find the Dr that I am confident that is out there and willing to help.
my wife spoke to my PCP last night...he would be glad to be her PCP but reminded her that their practice no longer prescribes narctotics either (excpt under extreme circumstances)..BUT he would try to expedite her into the other pain clinic that said October was the earliest.

He also reminded her that there IS  a 30 day law in New Hampshire and the doctors are required to care for patients they discharge until a new doctor is found.  My wife wrote a rather nice note to her PCP last night..that will be interesting

Jim
Jim,
There is an old saying, "When it rains, it pours" and it certainly is pouring in New Hampshire. I am so sorry about all the issues you are facing at this time. Life is never fair.

I am glad that your PCP is willing to assist your wife. October seems like forever when you are hurting but hopefully she can hang in there until than. Possible her PCP will order her a few pain meds if he knows she will be seen in a pain Management Clinic soon. How is she doing?

Sandee is right, don't quit looking. It may take awhile but someone will help your wife. What a sad state of affairs the USA is in when it comes to helping the victims of CP. I am ashamed that they lack compassion and understanding when so many CP victims must suffer. But that's another story. Keep us posted. I'll say a prayer for your son. Blessings, Tuck
This has really become a ping pong ball..her current pcp says he gave her enough to taper..6 vicdin and 20 clondine...this after 3 months of 10mg per 3-4 times a day and them morphine for 2 weeks from the PM guy.  The PCP says he is not going to give out any more narcotics.  she is to taper off the them until she fnd another pcp...what he
doesn't discuss is "what about the chronic pain she is in"..she has written to the PM that he is responsble for 30 days treatment after discharge with no response.  State medical board next stop.

Jim
Hi again Jim,

Yes it has become a ping-pong affair. And I am sorry for you and your wife. I would look for another PCP. If my PCP didn't care enough about my well being to help me in this type of situation I would question his compassion and caring about my health in general.

Has your attorney neighbor returned from vacation? I would get him involved ASAP. And in the interim I would waste no time personally contacting the medical board. When we are so obviously left high and dry we must follow all the avenues available to us to make our plight known. If enough of us complain loudly about the treatment of CP victims maybe we'll start getting the proper care and treatment we deserve, instead of being treated like second class citizens and drug seekers.

Keep us posted and hang in there. Take care, Tuck

She  has another PCP...mine..unfortunately their practice has a new policy of NOT prescribing narcotics, something I'm finding more and more common..my neighbor is home but we've been tied up with other stuff and not n touch..We will be going to the medical board..this guy cut her off without the 30 days, and has refused to answer her phone calls or emails concerning being tapered off the meds.  Her former PCP has apparentely labled her as an abuser and has put instructions in her chart "do not prescribe narcotics.  It's a mess, because her pain is in creasing,. The ER is a likelihood tomorrow,

I just don't get it, particuularly since she has NEVER had dilaudid which showed up in her tests.  Her former PCP has said he would help her out with Ibuprophin type meds.

Jim
I would not put too much more energy into something that is so rediculious.  Sometimes I totally throw a fit when tests and x-rays show no sign of things that I thought were there, or show positive results for something I didn't take.  Everyone has unique chemistry in their body.  Asking the jerk doctor that came up with the false results how this could possibly happen will get you nowhere.  What you can do in the future is ask for a blood/ or urine "split"  This means that if the tests come back showing anything weird you can take the half of the blood/urine that is left from the "split" and have it tested at an independent lab.  To be absolutely totally sure, you can go directly from the doctor's office to an independent lab ($50 bucks), as a routine, and have them take blood or urine to date and hold.  That way, if anything comes back weird you can have your independent lab go ahead and double check.
She's out of her meds now and in withdrawl (withdrawal), depressed and to the point I wouldn't be surprised if I wound up taking her to the ER tonight.  She's taking the clonidine (though she took one a short time ago thinking it was clonipine).  What's scaring me now is her depression, which could be part of the withdrawl (withdrawal), I know.  The whole scene between the PM and the PCP has depressed the heck out of her..I sent the PM one nasty (but well worded) email tonight which I'm sure will be ignored when he gets to the part that our vet is more professional with our animals than with my wife.

Sorry to keep going on and on with this folks...allows me to vent. between this, my son, and other stressors I'm beginning to feel like walking time bomb.

Jim
My heart goes out to you. Unfortunately I have to agree with annamarie's post about moving on. I know you are waiting to get into another pain clinic (if I remember correctly.) If her chart has been flagged you will have problems where ever you go. Your only hope it to find an empathetic physician that will listen to her and more importantly BELIEVE her, believe that she indeed has pain.

I don't want to be so pessimistic but this may take a very long time. Once you are labeled it follows you. The two of you must keep trying and looking until you do find that one great physician. It may or may not be a PMP. I have seen one once and vowed I would never return to be humiliated again. I know there are great ones out there. I just didn't find one.

Hang in there and visit ER if necessary and if they will help her. I'm afraid after awhile they may refuse to give her narcotics too. Take care, keep us posted and you may vent anytime you feel you need to. How is your son? Tuck
I know it's time to move on.  I was ready to yesterday until I sat here, saw her crying in pain and felt helpless.  She is getting a new PCP but we are in a spot where she is due to have surgery in October (to correct issues with her breast reconstruction) and that is being done via referral from her current PCP and the insurance feels things could get confusing were she to change right now.  Her current PCP is trying to "expedite" matters with the new pain clinic, and is at least reviewing her question "why give me 6 vicodin to withdraw from percocet and morphine, and clonidine? (to which they never gave instructions on how to use it)" when her issue is PAIN?.

My son is getting better..will still be a while, but he is getting better.  Did I tell you that alcohol played a key factor in this?  He had consumed heavily the night before and apparantly was still drunk and under the influence of his meds when he passed out.  I'm concerned..this kid (26) seems to have a death wish or "spend my life in jail wish"..if he is found under the influence by the police...5-15 years (he's on probation)...

all of this stuff is contributing to my own depression and I'm finding I'm the one trying to hold everything/one together.  I thank God for my 32 year old son in Georgia who is helping out with his brother.

Thanks again for listening and God bless you all.

Jim
Hang in there. Your plate is so full. I wish there was something I could do other than listen. Keep posting if it helps. We are all here for you. Tuck