Pain Management Community
nerve damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

nerve damage

is there eny tretment for nerve damage  
I would like to welcome you the Pain Management forum.  As you already know we are a community of chronic pain patients.  I wish there were a doctor at least monitoring this forum but there is not.  But we do offer support, advice and friendship to other chronic pain patients.

This is a really complicated question.  There are medications that help.  But the best advice I can give you is to consult a neurologist.  

Nerve pain is awful.  But it can be treated.  My pain management physician (PMP) manages my nerve pain.  You may wish to consider consulting a PMP.  If you are suffering from nerve pain, you have my most sincere sympathy.

Please keep checking back.  I'm sure that someone will be able to give you better advice than I.  And please feel free to post any questions you may have and feel free to jump right in to answer any questions on the forum.  We welcome more input. So again, welcome to the community!

Sara

I guess a couple of questions would be in order here to help understand your situation a bit better.

First:  Do have an underlying condition that causes this nerve pain??  (examples...MS, Peripheral Neuropathy.. Peripheral neuropathy is the term for damage to nerves of the peripheral nervous system which may be caused either by diseases of the nerve or from the side-effects of systemic illness.

Second:  Have you contacted either your PCP or do you have a Neuro that you are seeing?

Third:  How long has this been posing a problem to you?

Fourth;  Are you a Diabetic?

As to your original question....Is there treatment for Neuropathy??  The answer is yes there is. It is just deciphering the cause....

~Tonya

Hello Kay

I reply regarding your question is there a treatment for nerve pain. Well at the moment i too am suffering nerve damage down my right hand side it starts in my buttock and spreads down my leg. I am currently under pain management and have been since this problem occurred. They prescribed me gabapentin 300mg 1, 3xa day, then increase the medication to 2 3x a day. I am now taking 3 3x a day they are not working for me. i am due to see my pain management team later thyis wk to have a course of nerve blocking injections. I really hope these work for me as i cant stand the pain no more it is depressing me big time. It has stopped me from living my life to the full. i really sympathise with what you are going through. My nerve damage was caused through surgery for an anterior mesh repair.
How was your nerve pain caused and wher is it affecting you?

I hope you find my post interesting
Hope you start to feel better very soon
Take Care Em
Hi Kay,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. Your question is clear and to the point however it does not provide us with much information.

Simply answer is yes there is treatment for nerve damage. Much will depend on contributing factors, the location of the nerve damage, the severity of the damage and the cause of the damage.

Some treatments available, again based on location and cause are steroid injections, various medications, nerve blocks, a rhizotomy (Radiofrequency ablation) and more.

If you can be more specific we may have more suggestions for you. If you are suffering from nerve damage my heart goes out to you. Nerve pain can be very difficult to diagnosis, treat and very painful. I sincerely hope you will be able to find some solutions. We are here for you. You all understand the extreme challenges that chronic pain brings to our lives. Feel free to let us know how you are doing.

I wish you the very best.

Take Care,
~Tuck  
I herniated the L4 L5 S1 the most common area to screw up.My doctor,s plural cause I've,e gotten 3 opinions all say I have to live with this the rest of my life ( I,m 51 now ) I can,t sit more than an hr or lay more than 3 hrs or it feels like hulk hogan and the rock are having a tug of war on my spine and at the same time it feel,s like someone is holding a blow torch to my lower back .I,m on 2 100 mg Of morphine sulfate a day plus 4 30 mg oxycodone a day even with all this med I,m still in mega pain and hate my life .Anyone else out their with similar  conditions.?
I had a tumor removed from my spinal cord several years ago. It did a lot of nerve damage before it was found and removed. plus had bone spurs in my neck and ruptured disc in my lower back all so have a club foot from the damage . I have lived in pain for about 19 years and now getting older harder to deal with. Would pain management help?