Pain Management Community
nerve damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

nerve damage

is there eny tretment for nerve damage  
I would like to welcome you the Pain Management forum.  As you already know we are a community of chronic pain patients.  I wish there were a doctor at least monitoring this forum but there is not.  But we do offer support, advice and friendship to other chronic pain patients.

This is a really complicated question.  There are medications that help.  But the best advice I can give you is to consult a neurologist.  

Nerve pain is awful.  But it can be treated.  My pain management physician (PMP) manages my nerve pain.  You may wish to consider consulting a PMP.  If you are suffering from nerve pain, you have my most sincere sympathy.

Please keep checking back.  I'm sure that someone will be able to give you better advice than I.  And please feel free to post any questions you may have and feel free to jump right in to answer any questions on the forum.  We welcome more input. So again, welcome to the community!

Sara

I guess a couple of questions would be in order here to help understand your situation a bit better.

First:  Do have an underlying condition that causes this nerve pain??  (examples...MS, Peripheral Neuropathy.. Peripheral neuropathy is the term for damage to nerves of the peripheral nervous system which may be caused either by diseases of the nerve or from the side-effects of systemic illness.

Second:  Have you contacted either your PCP or do you have a Neuro that you are seeing?

Third:  How long has this been posing a problem to you?

Fourth;  Are you a Diabetic?

As to your original question....Is there treatment for Neuropathy??  The answer is yes there is. It is just deciphering the cause....

~Tonya

Hello Kay

I reply regarding your question is there a treatment for nerve pain. Well at the moment i too am suffering nerve damage down my right hand side it starts in my buttock and spreads down my leg. I am currently under pain management and have been since this problem occurred. They prescribed me gabapentin 300mg 1, 3xa day, then increase the medication to 2 3x a day. I am now taking 3 3x a day they are not working for me. i am due to see my pain management team later thyis wk to have a course of nerve blocking injections. I really hope these work for me as i cant stand the pain no more it is depressing me big time. It has stopped me from living my life to the full. i really sympathise with what you are going through. My nerve damage was caused through surgery for an anterior mesh repair.
How was your nerve pain caused and wher is it affecting you?

I hope you find my post interesting
Hope you start to feel better very soon
Take Care Em
Hi Kay,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. Your question is clear and to the point however it does not provide us with much information.

Simply answer is yes there is treatment for nerve damage. Much will depend on contributing factors, the location of the nerve damage, the severity of the damage and the cause of the damage.

Some treatments available, again based on location and cause are steroid injections, various medications, nerve blocks, a rhizotomy (Radiofrequency ablation) and more.

If you can be more specific we may have more suggestions for you. If you are suffering from nerve damage my heart goes out to you. Nerve pain can be very difficult to diagnosis, treat and very painful. I sincerely hope you will be able to find some solutions. We are here for you. You all understand the extreme challenges that chronic pain brings to our lives. Feel free to let us know how you are doing.

I wish you the very best.

Take Care,
~Tuck  
I herniated the L4 L5 S1 the most common area to screw up.My doctor,s plural cause I've,e gotten 3 opinions all say I have to live with this the rest of my life ( I,m 51 now ) I can,t sit more than an hr or lay more than 3 hrs or it feels like hulk hogan and the rock are having a tug of war on my spine and at the same time it feel,s like someone is holding a blow torch to my lower back .I,m on 2 100 mg Of morphine sulfate a day plus 4 30 mg oxycodone a day even with all this med I,m still in mega pain and hate my life .Anyone else out their with similar  conditions.?
I had a tumor removed from my spinal cord several years ago. It did a lot of nerve damage before it was found and removed. plus had bone spurs in my neck and ruptured disc in my lower back all so have a club foot from the damage . I have lived in pain for about 19 years and now getting older harder to deal with. Would pain management help?
I'm writing regarding a concern I have for my mother.    She's 74 and has had 3 bad falls in the last 5 months, resulting most recently in breaks in her pelvic region and tailbone.    The last fall was in January.    Doctors tell her that the bones have all healed perfectly, yet the constant pain on the OPPOSITE side has forced her back into a wheelchair.   That pain started after the initial breaks had healed.   Current  X rays show no new breaks anywhere and doctors have no answers.   I'm wondering if nerve damage could cause  that kind of pain and if not, what else could be going on.   She's in enough pain that she is looking into acupuncture.  
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hi Snoorgrbottom,

Welcome. I am so very sorry to hear about your mother. Our mom's are so precious to us, one of a kind. I know the worry and concern. My heart goes out to you.

I encourage you to begin a new post instead of tacking on to an old one. Your question will stand out and get the attention it deserves.

You didn't describe her pain which often gives a clue to it's source. Is it a burning pain? Is it radicular pain (meaning traveling or radiating)? Is the pain stabbing, aching, throbbing? Knowing more about the pain is important in responding to your question.

Your mom's pain could be related to a compressed or irritated nerve. Has she had a recent MRI? By recent I mean since the "new" pain began. If not I would insist on it. If her physician refuses to do additional testing you may also want to consider a second opinion. Unless your mom has signed a HIPPA release form you will have trouble speaking with her physicians.... ...But that's an entirely different subject and does not pertain to your question. Sorry.

What jumps out to me immediately is why she has fallen 3 times in the last 5 months. I hope whatever has been the source of those falls has been investigated and treated. I'm sure you are aware that if that has not been done she may still be at a high risk for additional falls. Has her general health been good up till these falls?

Does she have osteoporosis? Osteoporosis-related fractures most commonly occur in the hip, wrist or spine. As we age we are at higher risk for developing Osteoporosis.  

At 74 she is not "old" in years by medical standards however as we age we can be more prone to pain from multiple sources. Does she has Arthritis (R.A. or Osteoarthritis) as it can be extremely painful.

I think you may obtain some helpful response in our
Neurology Forum: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Neurology/show/74
Orthopedics Help Forum: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Orthopedics/show/60.
Remember to post a new question in those forums also. It truly does help.

Don't stop searching for answers for your mother's pain. Be assertive. She needs to get out of the wheelchair fast. At the very least I would request physical therapy to improve her strength. I'd also ask for something to control her pain.

Your mom is blessed to have you, a concerned daughter. As her years advance it will become increasingly important to have you, a caring and informed advocate. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing and feel free to ask additional questions. I'll also be eager to hear more info regarding the type of pain she is experiencing.

Good Luck.
My best to you and your mom.
Tuck
Bruce6179: I too have 2 large Herniations, one L5-S1 and L4-L5, like You. Believe me when I say I understand exactly how you feel...it's debilitating. I'm 19 and just entering university, I'm Unable to attend classes, complete Assignments, or write exams because like you, I am unable to sit/stand for long periods of time.
It makes me hate my life too, it's frustrating and God it feels very lonely, because it's not something that people can really see it's not like you're wearing a cast or a visible source of pain.
I've been accused of seeking pain meds and abusing pain meds but to be honest, I'd rather not be on them at all. They make my head fuzzy and make it hard to concentrate but without them I can't function at all sometimes I don't even get out of bed in the morning.
Maybe talk to your doctor about a medication (the only one that even moderately helps me) called Lyrica. its a medication for nerve pain and its the only thing that seems to help, at least in my case.
Sorry, Bruce is long gone from MedHelp. This is a very old thread.

Your concerns are important to us. I encourage you to begin a new thread/post for more visibility and response. I'll watch for it.

My Best to You,
~Tuck