Pain Management Community
numbness in calf muscle and foot while walking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I dont really know where this question belongs.
Im 59 years old.  I have been walking to lose weight.  I have been doing warm up exercises before i start walking.  Before i started to do warm ups, my left outer calf muscle would really hurt while i walk. But after i would rest for 15 minutes it would go away and i could walk with no problem.  This morning i did my usaul excercises,  the pain started and i rested, it went away.  Then started on my walk. I dont walk fast. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to walk a half mile.  ( i have only been walking for 3 weeks, i walk for an hour a day)  As i was walking today, it started to ache again, so when i got to my stopping place, I rested my leg for about 15 minutes. Then i noticed when i was resting that the top of my left foot and outer left calf muscle was numb.  It left and i walked back home about 1/2 mile, on the way home i did notice a little numbness in the left foot.  Its been an hour and half now, and numbness is gone, but calf muscle feels tired.  What is causing the calf muscle to ache and go numb?  What can i do to prevent this from happening, again?  Im not a fast walker but i love to walk.  I would like to walk faster then i am, but i cant with this issue.
This is the second time it has happened.  

Thank You

Mary Jane Olson
Hi Mary Jane:

From the sounds of it and in my opinion, you may be experiencing inflammation in the calf muscle which is hitting a nerve. Often when our muscles are out of shape so to speak, It doesn't take much to injure the area.

I have been very inactive for a while and because of the non-use of my calf muscles, I was stepping off of a step ladder and pulled mt calf muscle. This happened because of the shape my muscles are in.

It may be that you calf muscles are not use to the new exercise and it may take time to condition them. This is only my opinion.

If the problem persists, you should seek a medical opinion on the cause of the numbness.

Please take care and I hope you can resolve your issues.

Mollyrae
Hi Jazz,
It could be several things, but if you start getting numbness and or pain in the shin or ankle, your lumbar spine might be to blame. Usually the pain doesn't go away that fast when it's the lumbar spine, but your symptoms are heading in that direction. The top, outside calf and ankle was the first pain I had when I started having troubles with my back.

Best of luck,
Patrick T