Pain Management Community
pain at right rib cage under right arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pain at right rib cage under right arm

I have a load of physical problems but I have gotten a pain under my right arm at the rib cage not below it.  This is very painful to the touch and feels like the nerves are sending shooting pains if it is touched.  It started a couple of days ago and it has gotten worse from the time it started.  Laying in bed is when it is at its worst.  does not matter what position I have tried taking anti inflammatory and using a heat pad on it with no help. Getting up out of a chair is hard to do and I am finding walking getting harder as well.  This pain is approximately 4 inches below my arm pit  and the area affected is like 6 to 8 inches in length and 3 inches in width. It has just started up and it is very painful.  I do have a heart problems and have an ICD implanted as well as I have fibromyalgia.  I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer in the left breast.  and Just got over a pulled muscle in the left arm.  Can anyone help I cant sleep or find a comfortable position laying down.  I am fine sitting and standing but walking and laying down make it hurt worse.  Please Help
Hi!
I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. It is important to consult a doctor immediately to rule out herpes, pleuritis (inflammation or infection of the lining of lung), pericarditis (inflammation or infection of lining of heart), an abscess under the diaphragm bad gastric ulcer, or a spleen abscess. You may need ultrasound of the upper abdomen, chest X-ray, ECHO etc. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!