Pain Management Community
pain contract

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pain contract

I saw a surgeon last week for my back problems and he gave me short term pain meds of hydrocodone 7.5 mg to take twice a day and referred me to a pm dr. I filled the script and had an appt with the pm  a week later. Pm upped to my dose of hydrocodone to 3 times a day . Took the script to the pharmacy I signed a pain contract with the pm. anyways the pharmacy told me since I filled the hydro 7 days ago  from the os they cant fill my script from the pm til next week. My ? is do I use the os prescribe hydro but take it at 3 times a day as the pm instructed on my new script til I can fill the script from the pm  or should I wait til the pharmacy to fill the script next week?
You should get off the hydrocodone. Absolutely positively the wrong train on the wrong track headed for an open drawbridge. Plan stupid. The back pain comes from glial cell stimulation which does not react to opiates. All you will end up with is an addiction. Transdermal lidocains patches worn no longer than 12 hours a day work, as do exercised taught by a rehab specialist, accupuncture and a TENS device. On a very, very short term basis prednisone. Such pain is episodic and usually self-limiting. Sleep with a pillow between your legs.
Caregiver, I have had back problems for over 20 yrs. the fist line of treatment was lidocaine patches which did not work. I have herniated discs pressing on my nerves with spinal canal compromise also severe athritis and curvatures. I have been in the chronic pain game for over 20 yrs so I know what works for me and what doesnt. Im not just treating with opiods I have a esi scheduled for march 1st.
IMO you should follow the instructions from your PM physician since he is the one you signed the contract with & will be seeing you from here on.  I use several things for my pain (I have several pain issues.)  I've been on narcotics for  6 years & never   took more than prescribed.  It is wise to know how easy it is to become tolerant.