Pain Management Community
pain in left butt cheek going down left leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I wish you could provide additional information such as how long has this been going on? Can you tell us what makes it worse and what makes it better? Have you consulted a Physician? What was their thoughts?

That said, in my opinion the pain you are experiencing is called Sciatica. Sciatica is a SX (symptom) not a DX (Diagnosis). It can be a SX of several conditions. Generally it is associated with several lower spinal issues. This pain occurs when your Sciatic Nerve is entrapped, compressed, inflamed or irritated.  

It can also come from a Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction (SIJD). This can be difficult to DX and is often over-looked. I encourage you to consult with your PCP. He/she may begin with an x-ray but more detailed imaging may be required.

Please feel free to offer additional information. It will be helpful and we'll look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck
I have severe pain in my left butt cheek, sometimes when I sit a certain way I can feel it come up to the left side of my stomach. It occurs a lot when am sitting or when am lying down. It feels like a pench nerve that runs down the back of my left leg. The pain gets so back where it hurts if I try to lay on my right side or left side.  What would cause these type pains?
Read up on piriformis syndrome and see if those are the symptoms. Then find a doctor who KNOW WHAT THIS IS AND HOW TO TREAT IT. This piriformis syndrome is a new thing to the medical community but not many doctors know how to treat it. I had the syndrome and the pain that went with it. Steroid injections were a temporary relief along with nerve blocks but still had pain. I got a Botox injection to the piriformis muscle and it made the world of difference to the pain. Read up on this and find someone who knows what they are doing. The more you learn about your condition, the more you can educate a doctor.
I know the feeling. I have had some of the same symptoms for years! One doctor talked about this small piriformis muscle and syndrome and I learned a lot of how it affected my condition. AFTER MANY A DOCTOR AND TREATMENTS, the Botox injection helped calm this piriformis muscle syndrome. Read up on it and see if it applies to your area of pain. Then read up on the latest treatments and what pain management doctors are now learning. It is about time, doctors learn a little more from the patients that need treatment.
About 3 years ago i had severe pain in my butt checks and down both legs including my feet. I had an mri and nerve test and the came back normal. I went to a dr that said it was piriformis syndrome. I had 3 sets of injecrions and boy what a relief it was. Well a few months ago I started feeling same pain not as bad so called dr and started the injections and they didn't help much. So now pain is very severe and nothing seems to help relieve pain. So dr prescribed me gabapentin and go for another nerve test in the morning. And then an mri. I just need the pain to go away. It is constant any ideas?
Hard to tell. We know nothing of your age, weight, physical condition, medical history, current medications, etc. Your doctor has a much better chance of making a diagnosis.

Remember that MRIs may be "negative" but still show degenerative changes that the doctor didn't bother to speak of with you because so many are pressed for time and don't expect their patients to have any interest or knowledge of their own bodies.

Here consistency of treatment is your best option -- if possible go to the same medical imaging center for this new MRI so that they can compare the three year old MRI with current findings.

Best wishes.