Pain Management Community
pain in left front foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pain in left front foot

I am not sure whether pain management is the right topic. Here is my problem or the reason why I joined this group. For over a year now I have pain in my left front foot. I exercise regularly, walk every day for about 25 to 50 minutes (not now, because it is too painful), do weight exercises and 20 laps swimming twice a week, and am an active person.
The pain in my left foot can only be tolerated by taking a muscle relaxing pill i.e. motrin, when I want to go for my walk. I went for an x ray and my family physician informed me that there is some arthritis starting, but that could not be the explanation for the pain. A foot clinic doctor looked at my foot, told me this is normal because of my age, and I need to get a fitted insole. That would take care of the pain. I am using insoles for the last couple of months, the ones with memory, etc. and they helped a bit.
Now I have found out when I put heat on my foot, i.e. hot wet towels, etc, I have excruciating pain in my foot, for hours. And when I put a cold wet towel on my foot for a couple of hours, the foot is extremely cool, and there is NO PAIN what so ever! When I walk, the foot gets very hot, more so than the right foot.

Any one who can give me some idea what the reason for this is? I really miss my hourly, daily walks, which I have cut back so much already.
Tags: left, Foot, problem
Hello Christine,

I am glad that you found us at the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. Welcome. I am sorry to hear about your pain.

If you have arthritis that means you have inflammation. Heat will bring blood and fluid to any site that it is applied. Along with that will come some internal (often external also) swelling. Obvious the swelling can cause pressure and that in turn causes pain. Ice (or cold) is reducing the fluids in the area thus relieving the pain to one degree or another. Heat also will increases inflammation.

After an injury (new or old) the cardinal treatment is R.I.C.E. Rest, ice, compression and elevation, this holds true in over extended body parts. Some ppl will respond better to heat after the initial 24 hours and others find that heat never works for them. I beleive that is based on an individuals body functions and preference. Based on your results I would suggest you continue to ice the area.

It may be helpful for you to apply heat before you exercise. It is often recommended for training or activity. Bringing relaxation and blood supply to the area and muscles may reduce the pain at the end of your exercise regime.

I hope I my suggestions have answered your question. If you have more feel free to ask. Others will respond with their opinions. Good luck to you. Please let us know how you are doing. I will be interested in hearing if you try the heat pre-exercise and it if is helpful.
Take Care, Tuck
Thanks for taking the time to answer. There was no injury that brought this left front foot pain on. That is what puzzles me the most. Always active and then out of the blue this super pain. So, I will continue the R.I.C.E. treatment. Compression, that is a thought..
C