Pain Management Community
pain in shoulder and neck and hand falling asleep at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have had pain in my shoulder and neck for a while, probably 2 years....I figured it was stress related since I am constantly stressed out over something. Well, recently, about a week..my left hand has been going to sleep in the middle of the night, 4 or 5 times through the night. I have got hardly no range of motion in my shoulder/arm...left side. I like to golf, but I have not in a year and now that spring is here and my favorite time to play I am afraid I will not be able to due to the pain I have only to just raise my arm. Does anyone have a clue to my problem?
Hi Cobradriver,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post....but sorry to hear about your increasing pain.

You're correct, your initial symptoms could be or have been stress/tension related. It may still play some part in your current condition. It sounds more as if it may be a cervical structure problem.

It could also be two problems...the stress and tension in the shoulder and neck and now a carpel tunnel issue. Carpel tunnel will cause the night time "going to sleep" issues that you describe.

What ever may be your final diagnosis it seems pretty obvious that you need some imaging done of the cervical area. It's important to determine if this is a bulging disc, nerve entrapment, degeneration or just what may be structural wrong, if anything. It's doubtful that stress alone would cause the increasing pain and now loss of ROM and loss of sensation during the night.

I wish you the best and hope you will let us know what you discover. We'll look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck