Pain Management Community
pain management drug testing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pain management drug testing

Hello i have been on pain management for a cpl years now been prescribed hydrocodone 7 750. I have multiple herniated discs and rhumatoid arthritus in my back. The meds help with the pain so i can actually do normal day activities most of the time. I have had a few random drug tests that i have had to take based on contract signature that started 2 years ago. I have had to take 3 drug tests thus far and i have passed them all because i only take what is prescribed and no illict drugs. I have never been told what kind of drug test is actually run and am curious. I have been wanting to ask my doctor but feel that if i do then he is going to think that im takeing something im not supposed to.  Id like to ask someone who knows on here exactly what kind of drug testing are actually run. My doctor has never said or went over my results with me and ive never asked but would like to know and i am affraid to ask. Can someone please explain so i can get a better understanding on what i am getting tested for and what they test for? I have heard that you have to watch out takeing over the counter meds for colds allergies etc and that alot of differnt things can give false positives if a false positive happens how does the testing find out that it is just a cold med or allergy med etc and not something that you shouldnt be taking ex. illicit drugs? Maybe im just worrying to much over nothing. Thank you
Tags: Pain
As long as you are taking what is prescribed, and AS prescribed, you shouldn't have a problem.  A friend of my works for a testing company, and she tells me it depends on what the employer wants to test for as far as how general or refined the testing is.  Most employers pay for generalized opiates, if that's what you're worried about.  They can't say whether it's tylenol-3, vicodin, morphine, fentanyl, whatever, without spending a lot of money to drill down to the details.  Anyway, I see no reason not to ask your doc these questions.  They are reasonable questions to ask where your employment is concerned and you shouldn't lose any credibility simply for asking.
I am certainly no expert here, but I have relative information that might be helpful for others in the case that you already asked your doc about the testing he/she performs.
My pain group also conducts tests to ensure they are in compliance with the dea. basically, the feds need to see you have everything in your system prescribed so that diversion is not suspect. They also can assume some sort of abuse scenario if you have no narcotics in your system or a low amount when the refill date has arrived. You should not clear a drug overnight, and that is not just in theory..
I was so sick once, after chemo, that I could not keep down the oxycodone..I could keep on the duragesic patch-it showed up perfectly, but no oxycodone because I would vomit within a few minutes, intractably. This was not brought up until a doc who seemed to be influenced by this walked in to see me once. He asked me question after question..not caring about the new medical treatment I had required since the last visit. I quickly understood, I was quite possibly, going to be watched..and I was. I was tested every single month after that for 4 months. I was angry because I had always complied. I asked to look at the tests though..and here is what they look for
1. that you have everything you are prescribed in your system. if it is a controlled substance, they need to see it in your bloodstream/urine to prove you need it..otherwise, you might not get a refill.
2. that you have appropriate levels in your urine. Too much/too little might indicate you are not in compliance
3. they test for barbituates, benzodiazepines, opiates/opiods, and cocaine/crack/marijuana/meth...my doc tests for all of my controls. I have cancer, I take a lot of different types of meds..so he uses probably a more advanced testing method once in a while. (after the first one did not show my oxycodone which I could not keep down for 3-4 days-it had totally cleared my system).
They did, however tell me I had methotrexate, zofran, phenergan, benedryl, immodium, cipro, caffeine-cafergot, and acetamenophen in my system as well..I quickly pointed out that if I had those in my system they should have been smart enough to see an additional problem was occurring..and nausea and vomitting might be present due to 2 antiemetics!! yikes!  I learned the hard way that if you know your stuff and you will have better chances of not having issues in this area.
I have to take a U.A everytime I see my pain Dr. In December of 2009 I took my U.A. and my Dr. tested it but after he tested it I was informed that my test had to be sent in to another lab for testing due to new goverment guidelines. It was sent to a lab in Florida called Avee labs. It was my understanding that they were testing for the use of substances like goldenseal etc. I dont remember the exact name of the test but it was something like Qualduale MS/MS. Has anyone else experienced this same thing with their drug tests? Is this now mandatory for patients using long lasting opiaids such as oxycontin?

I think it depends on the area you live in.  I've been prescriped Oxycontin, MScontin, and fentenyl patches and have not been asked to take a drug test.  But then again my pain management doc does not even rx the pain meds, my pcp does.  I'm in northern Calif.
most are a standard 5 pannel drug screen- which test for--
marijuana (THC), cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamines and opiates (heroin, morphine, etc.).
My PMP also test for Benzo's (valium/xanax)

Hope this helps