Pain Management Community
pain meds & new DEA laws

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pain meds & new DEA laws

went to my doctors 1/6/11 to pick up my pain med Perc 10/325 script and before they would hand me my script I was handed a cup to test my urine as per the "new DEA Laws" in Fla. I was just there less than 30 days to have my every 2 month  face to face appt  and didnt have to do so? They would only say it's the New law, had me check off on a DEA form like paper what meds I am prescribed, then sign and initial ...as usual my doctors office staff are so very rude so i did as "TOLD" do anyone know What are they testing me for? I have heard several different stories?
I heard THC, Cocaine, Heroine, basic illegal stuff which I do not do so not worried  then I heard " you're being testing to make sure what you're being prescribed is whats in your system if you test negative then your  selling them?
What the Heck? Any of my med help buddies on here have any new info

Thanks in advance
Kim in Florida the ccccccold state right now Brrrrrrrrrrr
That's actually pretty standard at most PM practices. On my first visit to my PM I had to sign a contract and take a urine screen. They test for illegal drugs and also your prescribed drug. If they find illegal drugs or they don't find your prescribed drug, than they can drop you as a patient.
Be sure your prescribed drug is in your system, too.  Take one even if you don't need it, a couple hours before your appt.  

It annoys me, as sometimes I'm having a couple of good days, and wouldn't ordinarily take the med that day.  But I'm terrified not to take it before the appt, just in case they test me.  

ARE You serious?? I mean i can see checking for THC and other illegal substances but if I dont have ENOUGH of my own meds?? I mean I GET the whole epidemic-I DO-But who the hell if footin the bill cuz I do not have health coverage at this moment I bust my A$$ to set aside cash for my expensive meds which for 120 a month costs me $155.00 ...so now every time I get my meds I have to pee in a cup now? On my last appointment with my PCP doctor I asked her to prescribe methodone or Suboxone due to 1) the cost 2) being scared with all the nut jobs that are robbing homes looking for meds 3)The new laws that will make it impossible due to no insurance. She said No, because of my RA and the whole Quality of life BS...then next thing i know I am now pee pee-ing in cups every visit...what ever ...thanks for the info...I don't smoke weed, or do any of the illegal "stuff' im 44 now and those days have been long gone...so no worries here....

Thanks to you too "atonicat"
Hi Kim,

Yes, welcome to the "World of Pain Medicine"!!  I've been doing this with my PM Doctor from day one.  I live in AZ.  I'm VERY surprised that Florida is JUST now doing this.  I'd just assumed that the regular PM Doctors had ALWAYS been doing it in Florida.  I didn't realize that they JUST started it.  

The first day I went to mine, I had to sign a pain contract that stated that I would be subject to periodic urine OR blood tests. Now mine DOESN'T automatically kick you out, they put you on a VERY CLOSE watch for 6 months FIRST and THEN if you do something wrong OR fail another test they will kick you out.  ALSO, MANY pain contracts will out and out tell you that they DON'T have to give you ANY meds when they kick you out, while OTHERS will tell you that they will furnish you with anywhere from 1 week to 1 month worth of meds.  It ALL depends on what your contract says!! It takes about one to 2 weeks for them to get the results of your urine test back.

What atonicat and peek said is VERY true, they are looking to be SURE that you have the prescribed meds IN your system as WELL as you don't have something MORE in your system.  AS long as you follow your Doctor's instructions "to the letter" you should be fine.  ALSO, as peek said just be sure that you take your meds a couple of hours before you go,  EVEN if your pain levels are low and you DON'T feel that you need them at that time.  JUST in case they should give you a urine screen that day.  

Does your Doctor give you the urine test EVERY time as some do OR is it RANDOMLY as mine is?

You should do fine as I KNOW that you follow your Doctor's orders!!  :)

Keep us updated...............Sherry  :}
I get tested randomly at my PM's office too. It's part of the drill here in Oregon. They are checking to make sure that I am not taking anything I'm not supposed to and that I have the prescribed rx in my system. I always have to make sure that I don't "run out" early so that it's in my system if I have to pee. It's annoying, but I understand why they have to do it. Unfotunately, we have to pay the price for those that obtain scrips and sell them on the street...sad world we live in,
I am new to this posting.  I have not seen the PM doc yet.  I live in TN.  My daughter has been seeing one for a couple of years.  She gets tested everytime she sees him to make sure she has her prescribed meds in her system.  I am really concerned about going to a PM.  My PCP was prescribing my Oxycodone (liquid) for pain from Chronic pancreatitis and post gastric bypass surgery complications.  This is the only thing I can take for pain, due to serious reactions to other pain meds & complicated insides.  I am concerned he is going to take me off of my med and try to put me on something else.  My surgeon & GI doctor were the ones that started me on the Oxy.  They said it is the best for organ pain.  I understand the concern but I have been having trouble finding my med due to DEA regulations and not letting the companies produce anymore until Jan. 12th. So, This is what I have to look forward to?
Hi Sandy,

I just moved a year and a half ago to AZ form TN.  If you are concerned with being removed from the liquid Oxycodone then I would suggest that you have BOTH your surgeon and GI Doctors get in contact with your NEW PM Doctor and explain it to him as how it could REALLY cause SEVERE problems with your condition!!  

It's my understanding that the PM Doctor's in TN are REALLY  "toeing the line" in TN also because so many patients are going to Florida and getting meds from the "Pill Mills" and bringing them back up and selling them in TN and KY.  That's probably why your Daughter is having to be drug tested EACH time she goes in.  :{  

As long as you will follow his instructions you will be FINE!!  Unfortunately, this IS what you have to look forward too.  HOWEVER, you should be VERY thankful that you HAVE a PM Doctor as MANY have LOST their PM Doctor's because they DIDN'T follow the Doctor's directions.  

Please let us know how you do AND how you like your New PM Doctor!!  :)

Best of Luck..........Sherry
Not only are they checking to see if its in you system they also are now checking to see how much. I also am in the same situation. I just posted a question too about this. I just started and I am having trouble taking the stronger med. I dont know what to do. He wants me to take three a day and one just floored me.
They test me in WI every time I go to the Dr, for my med check, They look for all street drugs and Higher / Lower Levels of what you are on. used to be that they could Just tell if you had the drug in your blood stream, But thanks to a new test actually developed and patented by 2 Dr.s at My Pain Clinic in Minaqua WI. They can tell if your are taking the prescribed amount, More or Less, They can even check your emzimes to see if you just took some that day to pass the test. This way they know if you are Exceeding the prescribed dose or Not taking all your pills which could mean you are selling the extras or hording them?, Sneaky bastards , For 5 years my tests were at "expected levels" Then the 1st appointment at this new clinic My appointment was on the day that I returned from a 2 week trip and I left One of my meds at home so when it did not show up in my test, I was questioned and told That was my One pass, any more and I would be cut off, Black balled. That is the same as killing me because ,Not only can I NOT NOT live with this pain, I WILL off myself before suffering through the withdrawals of the High dose they have me on
I seen your post about taking pain meds before going to the Dr. to make sure it,s in your test, Well they have a new test that tells them if you did just that! You have to take the meds for NO LESS then 3 days prior to the UA drug test so that the drug is absorbed into the Fat Cell emzimes. They can test if you are taking the prescribed amount as well! aka> @ expected Levels
Hi Everyone. My PM does totally random drug tests--GC/MS so they can tell what your levels are.

I NEVER know when I'm getting one. I may not get one for a year, and then I may get one three appts. in a row. So, it's truly random.

Sometimes I wish that someone could feel my back pain just for five minutes, so they could understand the agony that I deal with on a daily basis.

Breaks my heart that there are so many with pain that are under treated. It's so very important to have a good relationship with your PM doctor. I went through years of treatment with a doctor who didn't treat me well at all. Long story.

Anyway, yes you must make sure you take your meds. as prescribed, because even if you do just that, you can still have a negative drug screen because of other meds. or your metabolism.

Thank you all for your comments and let me also say how truly shocked I am that you all have had to & will continue to undergo such treatment just because of the "ones that sell the very medication we need"?? Like I said in my original post "I get the epidemic I DO" Right now I have a good friend who takes (as prescribed by her doctor) WAY too much...and her husband is NOW addicted due to stealing them from her...she is on 80 mg Oxicontins 150 a  month PLUS 15 mg Roxicodones 180 a month...her husband started getting 120 of the 30 mg Roxicodones so add that all up and that's lethal??!!! It so very bad I have  had to tell her I no longer could be in the home or around her/ husband due to the constant fighting they do over "WHO stole my meds".

So I Do understand the addiction to them we all just want to live pain free...I too found myself taking more and more to the point of back May of 2010 I endured, as some of you (sherry) remember the worst detox of my life....I have been very truthful with my doctor starting in October at an appt. I told her I wanted off because EVERY month I was playing the "how many did I take today & how many I promised I would take tomorrow INSANITY" she has now backed me down as apposed to giving me 120 a month I get them twice a month she said-BACK THEN, if she had to give me only a weeks supply in order to "help me keep them under control" I begged her for Suboxone or Methodone because at that time I really didn't think it mattered when or how many she prescribed I would go through them. She said she was "Impressed that I turned down 15 mg Roxy's" she offered...don't know if that was REALLY a compliment at this point?? But , I have been "Ok" so far...I guess I will have to see what the new year holds for me??
So, at this time in my life I am picking up 2 scripts a month, But... with the DEA laws I'm sure she won't be able to continue with that?? Just reading Agggony's comment that you will "Off yourself" before coming off your meds is EXACTLY how I feel and felt REASON I begged for methadone because I HAVE suffered with W/D'S and it is like a slow death...
God bless each and everyone of US that have to suffer each and every minute of the day....Never did I think at 44 that I would have the pain I have in my hands, knees & feet?? I was such an athlete from a young girl till 40 then my world changed.

Thanks again for the comments and I will be in contact with updates on Florida and the DEA..

Love N Hugs to all
Kim
Kim- YES, I remember what you went through!!  Bless your heart.  I ADMIRE you so much for the way that you took charge of your life.  

And yes, that WAS a compliment that she gave you for turning down the 15 mg Roxy's!!

I'm VERY PROUD of what you have accomplished and what you are continuing to do.  Not EVERYONE would be able to do that.  :)

You KNOW that we are here to support you in ANYWAY that we can and at ANY TIME that you might need us.  :}

Much Love and MEGA {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}..........Mama Sherry
I meant to add that there SHOULDN'T be a problem with her giving you 2 scripts a month OR even 4 scripts a month.  She just can't give out MORE than what is a NORMAL AMOUNT for the patient and their diagnosis.  :)

Just wanted to add that for you.  :)
As always Sherry you have the kindest, most inspirational words.. not just for me, but for all of us on here!!! Thank you for you all of your support then and NOW! :-)

I was just going through my med cabinet and realized my doctor had prescribed back in October this medication called Neurontin (Generic for Gabapentin)100 mg to be taken 1 capsule 3 x's a day for help of my Restless Leg Syndrome-I did not check that medication off , actually I don't even remember seeing it on the DEA Form  they had me sign Thursday I ONLY checked off  my Xanax & my Percocet's. The Gabapentin is NOT a controlled substance so I'm wondering if it will even matter???? The other thing I remembered is I had a bottle of Flexerils from my previous doctor last January 2010 ..I took 1 a night at bed time back 2 weeks ago due to my sciatica pain from Well, God knows what? I have had it flare up from mopping, sneezing and my all time worst/favorite one?? I was just getting INTO bed???!!!
So, needless to say  I'm worried - I know it's not classified as a narcotic I just do not trust my doctors office staff to do there job accurately...Plus I was told back in 2007 when I used to get Botox that Why when my good friend and I would go together same day  she only needed to do so every 12 to 16 weeks as where I had to go back every 6 weeks? Our Dr. Gregory in Celebration, Florida  informed me that the only thing he could come up with as he was just as baffled too, but said he consulted other doctors and they all came to the same conclusion my body metabolized the Botox much quicker than the "normal" patient. He also asked about my childbearing of my children I told him that YES, with my Son 15 years ago, the epidural wore off with in 10 hours they so while I was "pushing" I felt EVERYTHING so my OBGyn/ obstetrician  had to give me a shot of "something" down below due to the fact I was SCREAMING!! So, I'm wondering too if that has anything to do with no matter what medication I take it wears off so soon...I feel like a drug addict but it has always been like this when I really think about it now...I can contact my Doctor that gave me the Botox, it's in my records??

But, I'm sure none of this will make a bit of difference to them its all up to the DEA'S finding in my Urine??
Just wanted to pass that by you as you seem to be very insightful on allot of issues.... :-)

Thanks again for your Kind words they mean so very much to me...now and always-
God bless you Sherry,
Kim
    Hi Ya Flower, You said in this last comment that there are other drugs that can cause a"neg"  result even if you are taking the pain meds as prescribed?? What meds can cancel out Oxy Codone?  Get This ****, I was sure to take all 4 of the 15mg Oxy-I.Rs 1st. 2 of the last 3 tests,, came back "low" for the "expected level" So, at the 3rd appointment, fearing my test would come back low again, when asked how many tabs I took per day, I answered "3 per day" hoping that when the results came back "low" again it would match what I told her. Well,,,I was informed that the test came back as "higher"  then 3 per day. So this time I asked, What do you mean "Higher" by how much. She said that the test indicated I took closer to 4 per day.  I said, So what's the problem?? You allow me UP TO 4 per day! She says,, "Ya, but YOU SAID you only took 3 per day so this counts as a failed drug screen!!"  I can't win!! This from a Pain N-P who has screwed up 9 out of my last 10 prescriptions, even giving me 2 extra scripts for Oxy-I.R that I had to have the Rx destroy! I'm getting this level of harassment after 7 years with this clinic, for 7 years, NOT EVEN 1 failed drug test and for 7 years every U.A came back "At Expected Levels"  and I was just handed off to this Nurse Practitioner who don't know me or my history, She does not understand that even with the level of pain I still suffer everyday, I am a success story compared to where I was !! All she can see is the high dosage of pain meds and even though she sat there and told me that I have "The worst case of Facet Joint Disease and degenerated discs she has ever seen in her career " and that she"Does not know how I can tolerate the pain it must cause" She then says," You are on way too much pain meds and we have to get your dosage much lower" , The whole reason I ended up at the pain Clinic was because I asked my Prescribing Dr. to slowly lower my daily dosage just till I noticed my pain level rising. I spent a yr whit the "Addiction Specialist" lowering my dosage and just before she dumped me off on the nurse down the hall ,had given me back 2 of my 100mg doses per day because my pain level started to rise and my activity level was dropping off! Fact of the matter is this, The DEA and Cops are so far up these Dr.s ***** that They know every time a script for Controlled Sub.s is filled, Who wrote it and who got them, and Just because Narcotics were prescribed, The DEA has the authority to Pull a Dr.s files and spy on the patient!!  This is why I was forced to start seeing a new Dr. at my local clinic, The Dr. who knew me and me case, The Dr. that I chose and respected was busted by her boss after replacing Pain meds for a women who lied and said her's were stolen, 1 st they pulled her license to write Nark scripts, then put her on leave during the police investigation, She just told them all to F-OFF and quit! I miss her SO SO much, It is so hard to find a Dr. willing to treat Chronic Pain, and they are very good at finding a way to be rid of people like me! Please tell me what meds can effect a Nark **** test, Mine keep coming back wrong and they said "Just 1 more and I will need to find some else to provide pain meds!  Thanks
        I can totally relate to your "Insanity" comment, Before I came clean with my Dr. and told him that I was taking more then prescribed , I was playing the, Feel OK for a week and then suffer like hell for 3 weeks with pain and detox,  I called it "STUCK ON STUPID: I told Dr. that I wanted OFF the OxyContin and no matter what I said ,,to never give them to me ever again, i WAS JUST TOO EASY TO TAKE A COUPLE OF EXTRAS AND FEEL GREAT So he switched me to Kadian, a 24 hr Morphine, He gave me a Pringels Chip can full of 100mg Kadian and told me to take as many as I needed to get my pain tolerable and come back in a month and show him a list of how many tabs I took and when. So That I did! After getting my pain level down I was able to start doing P-T and stretching, over the next 2 yrs I went from lying in my Hosp, bed dreaming about the day that I could Off my self, to using a power chair to get to the bath rm, then to a pair of crutches for a few months ,Then down to a cane for about a yr, It was during my cane days that I had Dr. cut my Morphine by 50% and I am now back to work a few hrs a day  
Get this, a new law now says that is when you go the doc for anything you now have to be pee tested, if you tyested dirty the doc has to call the law and you are arrested on the spot, but not on state charges but on Fed. charges. This law has yet to even be made public knowledge and will soon take effect.
I recently just recieved a call back from a PMC, after being hung up on because I dont have any insurance. Along with alot of you I have NO PROBLEM being tested for illegal drugs but this is my issue; I live in OHIO and apparently in the last ten years the morons in this state have been "ACCIDENTALY" killing themselves from overdoses. I will be the first to admit that this state is boring as all get out but I have been on these meds for 10 years and I think if I were going to do something of that nature it would have already happened. I have bulging discs, pinched/ damaged nerves and degenerative disc disease. Unfortunately I need the pain meds just to have a resemblence to a normal life and now because of all the retards who abused these meds I can barely get treated. Add to that I am only 35yrs old so I have a lifetime of this excrutiating pain to look forward to. I guess my gripe is, why dont  doctors take people on a case to case basis anymore? I feel lumped in with the drug seekers and I am so freakin sick of it. Anyone have any ideas on what to do or should I just move to another state?
YOU are a MORON!! I am a Mother who lost her 19 year old daughter to an accidental overdose of medication that was prescribed to her from a car accident. The medicine had a bad reaction with her system and she passed away. do not just picture drug addicts sitting in crack houses overdosing. It happened to normal happy people all the time.

Idiot!
This just started in PA, I can't understand what is going on in this world. 13 things they made me initial, then sign at the bottom.
I saw nothing stating what they would do if you failed, just that you need to do it, or not get your meds.

My issue is this. My body highly metabolises, my current pain meds, so blood tests don't even prove anything, other then, that I took it, in front of them, and it was gone 60% in one hour, and totally gone in four. So what is this urinalysis, going to prove?
Well that's awfully nice to be giving advice as to "beat the pee test". I think the whole system is garbage. If you are in enough pain that you have to go to pain management and get 120 pain pills prescribed a month, but then are saying that you have to take meds before your appointment to make sure it comes up in your system, sounds to me as if everyone is a bit guilty of some type of over-dramatizing their pain. The world of addicts ***** and for the people who desperately try to deal with their pain in the correct way get walked over because everyone likes to be sneaky, devious, lying, stealing, selling, and manipulating. I know how this all works. I've watched it everyday as I've grown up. So here is the answer in addition to getting randomly tested.....take your pills with you!!!! Allow them to do a count and test your urine. This way you won't have to be "worried" about having it in your system. But we all know that it's an easy way to make some money....I know they are sold for profit....and $155 for 120 pills is tripled at least....oh...and plus...most of it is paid by the government for the ones who didn't know that a lot of the patients are on government insurance paying their Dr. visits and prescriptions 100%. Again...abuse of the system. Everyone should have random tests but they should also have to do a count at each appointment and throw some random counts in also.  This world of drug abuse makes me sick!! Funny thing is I go to Pain Management...and advised them I will deal with the discomfort and find ways to help myself without resorting to narcotics unless I am in serious un-resolving pain. Now as for the ones who are in so much pain and have pain meds prescribed...do the world a favor, the children, your family, and yourself....keep them locked up, take them as prescribed, and if you get addicted....then you need help outside of pain management. So for all the idiots that abuse our system, you deserve much more than the pain you so called cant deal with. You don't deserve to breathe the same air as the ones who are living life the way it was intended....
WOW... DrugfreebyCHOICE you sound like someone with alot of passion about the issue. I agree with you. I have seen alot of postings over the past couple years about people complaining about what they have to do when they visit their PM clinic. If people are following their Doctor's direction they should not ever worry about a urine/blood test to verify if they are taking their prescribed Rx. I get tested at my PM clinic and never worry because I understand the process and what is happening. I applaud you for enduring your pain without the use of narcotics. However, I believe my quality of life would be less if I did not take pain meds so therefore I choose to take them. I appriciate your input .      
do the clinics share the test results with law enforcement?hsa anybody experienced this? Are they allowed to do this?
Flexoril (cyclobenzaprine) and neurontin are neither narcotics.  Neurontin is a medication used to treat nerve myeolopathy pain like in diabetics with neuropathy.  I can't take it, it gives me nightmares.  It has a very high rate of side affects.  But seem people do well on it.  Flexoril, is anti psychotic and the most prescribed prescription there is for Muscle spasms.  But be weary of this one it can actually cause tight muscles.  It is also very bad for your sinuses and many people get sinus problems from it.  Me included.  I took it for 20 years and after blowing my ear drum out 2x my doctor took me off it and  did so well afterwards with my sinus problems she took 2 other patients off the drug and found their sinus problems also improved once they stopped taking it.  I take soma's now and since being put on them I have only had to argue with my newest doctor from our last move.  Some docs have a real stigma about soma's for some reason.  But I carry all my charts and found the one from my PCP changing my meds 5 years earlier and he leaves me alone and rights my script.
As Bob Dylan said in the 60's, the times they are a changing.......

I withdrew from my PM doctor and went medication free three years
ago...That chasing the drugs got so old for me, I saw how I didn't have
the drugs, that they had me and said a short sweet goodbye to them all.

I can't imagine what all the present patients are going through with all the changes to the FED Drug Changes.  I take a few Anacin a day now and use meditation and exercise to stay healthy and strong.  I was told by my surgeon that I would be wheelchair bound after my last surgery, and so far, his last words to me have not yet come true...

Good luck to you

M
This post is originally from l/ll.  It's best to start a new post.  That way comments are kept current.  Most of the older posts are from people who aren't active on this forum.
It is so sad that we are made to feel like criminals for being in pain.
Went to the doctors office today and they prescribe me vicodin for an injury that I have they did a random drug screening on me. I was tested positive for PCP in my system I had to google PCP because I didn't even know what it was I don't even drink. They told me I had 30 days to find a new doctor and there is nothing that I can say or do to fight this. I told them I would go to a lab to take a drug test, no you can have someone urine for you. They had me on 10 MG of Vicodin I told them to lower it to 5 MG because it was too high for me and it was making me sick is that something an addict would do? I have been sick for the past week I have not left my bedroom in 10 days I have been taking loratodine (allergy medication), nyquil (bedtime), tylenol cold & flu (through out the whole day), tylenol sinus (through out the whole day I have a deviated septum so I have trouble with my sinuses even more so because I had te flu really bad I haven't had it this bad in years that is why I am on so many medications), Vicodin (3 times a day), did I mention i'm epileptic so I also take Lamictal 300 mg twice a day and Topriramate 50 MG 1 and 1/2 once a day. This I take in 1 day are you going to tell me that none of this can cause a false positive for PCP. This woman stood there and told me well I don't know when was the last time you took it. Stood there and called me a freaking drug addict. I want to sue for medical malpractice I think this will follow me around it's not right or fair and for her to tell me that there is absolutely nothing that I can do to prove that I am telling the truth is ridiculous.
Hi All, thisnis my firstntome joinging in on ur conversationnso I hope that no one minds. O have been seeing my PD for about a yr and a half now and prior to him I saw a female dr for about 2 yrs. The female dr made me do the random urine test hut as of yet my new dr has not. I am 31 and dealing with SEVERAL RA...I feel that I am constinitly living in pain even though I am taking meds around the clock. Literally I have to set my alarm clock for during the night so I dont miss a dose. I always feel that I am being judged by everyone for needing thid medication....do anyone else feel this way? I have tried to stop it....andbthe WD truly were HORRIBLE!!! I too will NEVER do that again on my own.  I juat wish that more people understood...my own family doesnt so how do I expect other people to?? Im just greatful I found all of ur writing to see that I am truly NOT alone in dealing with this pain and all the BS that comes along with it!!

I pray that everyone here has a painfree day pr at least as closento ot as u can get:). God Bless,

Amber
Please don't call people names... I am sorry for your loss, but I also suffer from Severe Back pain and am being treated as If I were a drug addict by a lot of Doctors.
I have 0 History of any abuse of the mneds I need but am still placed into a GENERAL CATEGORY of people who do Abuse these meds.
It is EXTREMELY frustrating if you are in our situation, with Legitamate
Reasons for needing these meds and having to be treated so unfairly by the health system.
Hello, I am on 5/325 mg Percocet that has been prescribed to me from my PCP since 2011. 3 months ago, I went to Pain Management doctor and he stuck me on 10/325 mg Percocets. I thought I was suppose to take the 5/325's with the 10/325's and my pharmacy never questioned the scripts because I filled them all at the same place and presumed I was not doing anything wrong. And I never signed a contract at the Pain Management office until 2 weeks ago when I found out that only they can prescribe me my narcotic pain medicine. Does this automatically mean that the Pain Management doctors will black flag me and call my PCP?
We the People who suffer from chronic pain are treated like criminals. I have had surgery, epidurals, physical therapy, etc. I was treated at the same Spine & Pain Clinic that had done my surgery for 2 years following, I had inferior care by rude "care providers", gave monthly urine samples, and dropped from care for making a complaint against a nurse who treated me with contempt over and over again. I live in Georgia, but chronic pain sufferers are treated terribly no matter the state. We need a voice to put a stop to the way we are treated! None of us asked to be in this condition, we have no recourse. We have to tolerate being criminalized, and abused for seeking help. I am currently going through withdrawals, as attempts to find another provider is limited, and they all seem to be burdened by having to provide care for you.  What can we do? Do we not have rights? We Need A Say in How We are TREATED, and what we have to TOLERATE!
My husband is tested ever time he goes to his pain management office,  It is an instant test
Just wanted to come back, I know this is an old post but it is a good thread so hope it is ok to add
My husband goes to a Pain Management Office and he has no problem with them.  His problem was with the pharmacy (CVS)
The new pharmacist decided that my husband's prescription was too high so he called the doctor to "verify" that this was a real prescription.
Then proceeded to lecture the doctor that "he" felt the level was too high.
The doctor asked if there were record of this dose, yes 5 years worth, the doctor told the pharmacist to fill it.  So it was filled, I am concerned about the future.
We have been told that there are new laws in place, trying to find them now.  The doctor said my husband was lucky CVS filled it and we may want to find a new pharmacy as CVS is having problems.
Anyone else having problems?
Thank you
Yeah,  just read this thread.  Wow thought Kansas was weird but Ohio and its slave people finding are too, too much.  Why be  a criminal for being in pAin?  Damn.
My pain mgt clinic in VA suddenly after a year of treatment told me that they "weren't prescribing pills anymore." They switched me to the patch at less than half the dosage, telling me it was the "right amount." I didn't find out until I checked the FDA website for titration and found they'd cut my dosage in half, lied about it and left me to deal with the symptoms alone and unaware.  This week, a full month later, they finally wrote an increase.  I've been in pain for a month thanks to their disingenuous tactics.  They are scared and their new standard is not to treat the pain patient, but to keep themselves out of hot water.  If they don't want to prescribe pain meds, then why be in the pain business?  The drugstores watch the clinics and the patient's are watched by both of them.  This is all to avoid getting in trouble with the DEA.  It is very discouraging when injured people have no recourse and are "suspect" for reporting their symptoms and asking for what works.  My pharmacy just had to call their office to report that my new 'script wasn't written to match the packaging of the medicine.  That didn't help my confidence level at all!  Good luck to your husband. I hope it gets better out there.  
I have been stereo typed by CVS. I had asked a simple question about the make-up of a pain mediciation due to me having a reaction to it.
When I asked the legit question, the pharmacy tech said, "I don't want to tell you what I think" Like I was doing somehing wrong or agianst the law.

I reported the woman to CVS and she no longer works there.
Don't let anyone treat you in an unfair way, especially if you ARE doing everything by the books and not mis-using your medications.

People are being placed into a General Category of a person who abuses pain medication Every Day in this Country, even when you have a legit reason for being on these type of mediciations.

If It happens To You REPORT THEM!! If you let it go it is only going to keep happening....
Find a Good Doctor as Quick as you can! Its only going to get worse.

I went to a pain clinic only to be treated as if I were a criminal on probation.
There are good primary care doctors out there if you do your research.

If your Husband has an ongoing condtion which requires him to be on long term pain meds, do your best to find a good Doctor (Primary Care Doc)
who is willing to prescribe the meds he needs.
I have been going through this for years and have seen it all...
I have been through similar situations like you have had.
Send me a message back and I may be able to help you with
finding a Docotor to treat you w/ dignity.

Where do you live?
If you sign up w/ a Pain Clinic and jump through all of their hoops, they will eventually help you and give you pain meds that you need.
Try to find a clinic who are "Board Certified in Pain Mangement" and they will hopefully treat you w/ the respect you deserve.

Write me back if you need any more advice or info. I amy be able to help, as I have been going thru the same BS for years....
My PM  dr committed suicide and I went to my appt and the new pa that is an licensed anesthesiologist in China not here,here just a pa,they did not inform me that my dr was deceased for 6 weeks before my appt and they always said that nurse or pa can change ur meds,well she did with lies about the new laws and cut my percs by 60 and my soma cold turkery,ok I can understand the percs but the soma no. She ask me if I thought my dr was giving me a better quality of life? I responded yes and I quote "no he was trying to kill me"this pissed me off to no end bc my dr was my friend as well as my dr!!!! When I ask the pa a question she would only give me her credentials and told me she had other patients and talked out,just like that,well I got ahold a political figure that informed me that it was all lies,plus she told me to go home and do homework on my meds,well I did and ppl said that they taken 20 plus soma where I only took 4 aday and was fine with that. Any advice????? P.S. I also have to pee pee everyone I walk through the door,and made a formal complaint and that at my next appt that the dr that owns the clinic and the clinical overseer ,and the new law on pee test is 4 a yr if ur at high risk of not taking ur meds not illicit drugs(FYI)
When is the first time they drug test you? Is it at your appointment BEFORE you sign your contract? Or at your first visit AFTER you sign a contract?
I know this is an old post, but I'm in pain management and I get U/A's done every year without notice.  They are expensive tests too.  I have to pay out of pocket for them(deductible).

I've never had an issue with false readings.  They do the full works plus they do blood testing on top of it all.  I'm pretty happy they have such an extensive test.  I follow the doctors orders exactly as prescribed.
They test before you are prescribed any pain meds where I am at.  It's clearly stated in the info I was given before my apt.  
please tell me where I can find a Dr or PMC that will treat someone in severe pain like a person not a criminal We live in SE KY but at this point will go almost where ever
I just got back from my pain mgmt dr and he told me he has been hearing a rumor that the DEA is going to start limiting patients to ONE HUNDRED MG'S PER DAY of ANY meds................
I am taking 300 mgs of morphine and 90mg's of oxycodone-
this was VERY DISTURBING TO ME
anyone heard about this??
It is insult to injury!  And I honor your level headed and patient attitude toward medical staff that seemed to me to be quite unworthy of trust.  The fact is, and don't get me wrong--I love my Doctors--but we have to accept as reality the notion that we cannot, we cannot expect anything of our healthcare professionals.  We need to learn to not be surprised when these affronts happen to faithful patients!  We need to accept the ugly truth, that in our society, law abiding pain patients are tampered with and persecuted, while the Rush Limbaugh junkies go merryly off to pampered drug rehab spas and listen to staff saying: "good for you!"  give yourself a pat on the back" and otherwise get away with THEIR ILLEGAL drug use!  We have a broken society.  We have to accept that--but remember that life is good--and we are stronger than our pain.
Need help finding a PM for my husband that has had 25 surgeries in the last 30 yrs.  We have bounced around from PM Drs that are rude and treat  him like a criminal.  He has had both hips replaced and back fusion that is cause severe nerve pain down the leg and hips.  We were told about the  Spinal Cord Stimulator but, we have Medicare and NC Medicaid which will not pay for the surgeries as it takes two.  One for the trial and one to put it I later if it works.  

We are at the end of our ropes about the new laws and the treatment of people that need help just to survive one day as the pain is so bad.

Please send me an e-mail if you know of ANY Dr that will see us.  His primary Dr will NOT write for him as he is scared of the DEA as well!!!  This is stupid.  I wish some of the  DEA people would have to deal with the pain my husband endures on an hourly basis.

I have a problem I was in a car accident and lost my eye and nose plus messed up my back I have been on roxy 10s for yrs and have to go to the pain clinic for my meds now I live in WV a girl whom I thought was my friend stole some of my meds I have an apt tues I know they re gonna check my levels and iam afraid im going to fail
You need to report the theft to the police.  Get a copy of it and bring it ti your doctor.  Are you in any withdrawal?  I had my purse stolen once and I immediately reported it.  I called my doctor and she said she would give me another script but it's a one-time thing.  Ultimately I'm responsible for my medications. If they're stolen, it means I can't guarantee they're only used as prescribed.  A lady two doors up from me got dropped as a patient after her house was broken into and her meds, among other things, were stolen.  Shemwas dropped because she hadn't locked her door or put the alarm on.   I live in a small town where everyone knows each other and most don't lock their homes or cars.  But we also have a big narcotic problem.