Pain Management Community
pain meds without opiates in it

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pain meds without opiates in it

I have a friend who is having stomach bypass surgery and is in recovery from opiates. Can anyone suggest any pain meds without opiates in them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Suzi
Tags: pain meds
I would think you mean recovery from any addicting narcotic?? Or just opiates?  Post op they can use Stadol and Tramadol which are non narcotic.  I am sure there may be others also.
Hi Suziqt,

Wildwoodone is correct about Tramadol however there are addictive qualities to this medication even though it is not classified as a opiate. Your friend should be fore-warned about the addictive qualities. I have been told the withdrawal from it is also horrible.

Stadol is an opiate. It is availabe injectable or nasal spray. STADOL (butorphanol tartrate) Injection and STADOL NS (butorphanol tartrate) Nasal Spray are listed in Schedule IV of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

The best suggestion I can give to your friend is to have him/her consult with their physician. The PCP will be in a much better position to recommend which medications will best suit your friend. It is very kind of you to try to help. I wish you both the best of luck. And please take care, Tuck