Pain Management Community
pain pump implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pain pump implant

Does anyone have an implantable pain pump that you have to have refilled ever have the pump malfunction and dump all of the medicine at one time? I almost died.
It happened to my aunt. She died from it My cousins are now very rich people! I'm glad you made it through. I would go back to the oral medications, I'd be way to scared of the pump now!!!
Hi Tippy,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I've known that dumping is a possibility with a pain pump but have not researched the actual probability and statistics. I am glad that you made it through the malfunction. I hope you have contacted the manufacturer.

I do not have a pain pump but I have communicated with others on this forum that do have the device. I have not personally known of anyone that this dumping has occurred.

Maybe one of them are reading this thread and will comment.

Glad you are still with us.
Tuck
Thank You so much for responding!!!  I think I need a lawyer.  Can you tell me who was responsible, the pump manufacturer or the Doctor?
I will never have another pump but I am in so much pain.  This was my second pump and I never had a problem and didn't know this could happen.
Am I allowed to give you my email address on this site?
Thank You and I hope you are right about responses.  I need a lot of answers.
A personal Injury Lawyer can give you all of the information you need if he/she thinks you have a case. I would suggest that you get the phome book out and look for a good, well recommended Personal Injury Lawyer with a large ad. They are usually the best and well known for their cases. Sorry this has happened to you and I am also glad that your alive.

Take care,
Mollyrae
I thnk it was both the doctor AND the manufacturer named in the lawsuit.
Well that settles it for me...I was trying to decide between this pump and the stimulator that uses electrodes and magnets. Reading this story has more than made up my mind for me!!!
This was my second pump, the first was 2/28/02 and the replacement after 5 yrs. was 2/28/07 and supposed to hold more medicine so you wouldn't have to fill it so often and last 6 to 7 yrs.  I never had a problem until 10/26/09.  That was a BIG wake-up for me.  I tried the stimulator first but had no relief.  Everybody has different levels of pain.  The stimulator may work for you at least you are in control of the levels.
I love my pain doctor and feel he did no wrong but I think when I sue it will automatically involve him.  Right now, I am in severe pain!!!
I am so sorry that you are having so much pain. I hope your physician will find the right combination of medications that will help ease it.

I think the manufacturer is primarily responsible. If it was implanted and maintained (if there's any recommended maintenance) correctly it should not be the physicians fault. Sometimes these things just happen and it's really no one "fault." Other times the device has a history of malfunctioning and problems.  But do some research on the Internet. If there are problems with the particular device and manufacturer that was implanted in you there will be information on it.

We'll look for your updates. I hope you are able to at least find some pain relif.
I have a pain pump implanted in me but I have never heard a first hand account of this dumping issue taking place. Very scary indeed, you are very fortunate to have pulled through. My pump has Baclofen and Bupivacaine, I've already made it through an accidental Baclofen OD off oral pills back in my younger dumber days, so I can only imagine how lethal a dumping from my pump would be.

Dave
SCI C5/C6
I have the stimulator and it helps but is not a cure all, I still take strong med's and I'm thinking about getting the pain pump because I can't take this any longer. Maybe with both I can have a life.
i just had my 3rd lumbar surgery in which the dr did a fusion with rods and screws and it didn't work now my pain dr is recommending the stimulator or the pain pump..im nervous about both.I sick of the pills routine .so any feed back would be nice.
Do a lot of research to find what is best for you.  I do know that if anything goes wrong with the pump that the manufacturers are protected by the FDA and you cannot sue them for more than $1,000.00!  I almost died when my pump malfunctioned and dumped 63 days of pain medication at one time.  If I had died my sons could have sued and won.  I am back on the pills and hate it, but I have no choice I have too much pain and cannot function at all without some kind of relief.  In pain 24/7 even with the pills but I at least can tolerate the pain much better.  Good Luck to all who have pain.