pain pump v.s. oral meds
I had l4-l5 fused in jan of 07.  The surgery cured my pinched nerve and I no longer have scatic pain. I do now have lower back and hip pain which I have adopted after the surgery. I have been through cortizone injections, and the latest has been rf treatments which did not help much because the hardware from the fusion id in the way to get to the nerves to be burned. So the doctor is reccommending a pain pump. I have an appiontment the 19th of this month and I need to give him my decision. I am presently taking percost 5-5x daily (10/325) and 2-3 20mg oxycontin along with celebrex for inflamation 2x daily to relive the burning pain. These meds do relieve the pain however I do notthink I want to be on them the rest of my life. Are there any draw backs from the pain pump besides going in exery 2 months for service? Is this better for my body? or should I give my lower back more time to heal/adjust to the surgery and stay on the pain meds until the pain goes away. I have been on the meds for 7 months.
Hi Again Alwayssumthin,

You ask a very good question. There is so many different opinions on the Pain Pumps. I do think I hear more bad than good but that may be because the ppl that do not have any issues with it, do not post.

An Intrathecal Pump is a specialized device, which delivers concentrated amounts of medication(s) into spinal cord area via a small catheter (tubing). An Intrathecal Pump is a specialized device, which delivers concentrated amounts of medication(s) into spinal cord area via a small catheter (tubing).

There are some important things to remember if you decide to have one implanted. Normally they insert a trial pump for seven days to evaluate it's effectiveness before implanting the permanent device. It is my understanding that placement is imperative as well as the skill of the medical professional inserting the catheters. The batteries last 3-5 years and the medication "pumps" requiring filling every few months. Infection is a consideration also.

Others will post with more experience than I have with this subject. Please let us know what you decide and how the pump works for you, if you choose to have it implanted.
By the way, cute screen name. I feel that way often. I will look forward to hearing from you soon.   Again, Take care, Tuck
Sorry I didn't answer your last question. I would give my spine more time to heal and my body to adjust. I would not be comfortable with the insertion of a pain pump unless it were my only and last resort. But that is just my opinion.

Only you can decide what is best for you. Just gather all the information possible and make an informed decision. And it appears that you are doing just that.