pain
my thumb nail is growing into the skin around the thumb .It been like this for over 3 years  What is this.
It sounds like an ingrown toenail, only in your finger.  I have read that treating an ingrown toe nail by changing the nail shape surgically isn't all that effective.  The article suggested that instead, there might be too much skin there that needed to be removed.  However, your hand doesn't have to fit in a shoe and have the same jamming effect, so maybe it's just an infection in the skin that needs to be drained.  See a doctor soon, but don't go to the ER.  
Hi Diane,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum.

I think Caryopteris has offered you good suggestions. This is probably due to the shape of your nail and or finger at the site of the in-growth.

The best place to begin is with your PCP. If he/she is unable to treat this or a referral may be necessary. You certainly don't have to tolerate this uncomfortable situation... there are solutions.

I wish you well and hope you will share with us the outcome.

Take Care,
~Tuck